Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I'm wondering if I should get Photoshop CS3 or Photoshop CS3 extended.
My use will be touching up and editing photos, composite work, web images (buttons, logos, headers etc.) and so on. Pretty basic Photoshop stuff in other words.

I've had a look at the features at the Adobe site, and from what I can understand, the extended features apply mostly to scientists, doctors and architects, and I'm neither (or plan to become).

However, I've heard rumors that the extended version does actually contain features which are very useful to photographers and general work -is there any truth to this? Are there features available in that version I'm likely to need, or "can't live without"?

Finally I'm concerned about the computer resources the extended version might demand in comparison to the regular one.
I'm on a 1.67GHz Powerbook G4 with 1.5GB RAM which I guess in these days is considered "ancient" and "outdated" :rolleyes:
For best possible performance I'm thinking that a less featured Photoshop might be better, especially if I won't be using those "extended" features anyway.

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
My use will be touching up and editing photos, composite work, web images (buttons, logos, headers etc.) and so on. Pretty basic Photoshop stuff in other words.

I've had a look at the features at the Adobe site, and from what I can understand, the extended features apply mostly to scientists, doctors and architects, and I'm neither (or plan to become).

However, I've heard rumors that the extended version does actually contain features which are very useful to photographers and general work -is there any truth to this? Are there features available in that version I'm likely to need, or "can't live without"?

Finally I'm concerned about the computer resources the extended version might demand in comparison to the regular one.
I'm on a 1.67GHz Powerbook G4 with 1.5GB RAM which I guess in these days is considered "ancient" and "outdated" :rolleyes:
For best possible performance I'm thinking that a less featured Photoshop might be better, especially if I won't be using those "extended" features anyway.

I have Photoshop CS3 Extended but i don't use the 3d functions it has for architects, doctors, etc. But if you use the 3d you have to have a high video card and a lot of memory...but i haven't used the regular Photoshop so i couldn't tell you what is doesn't include for photographers...and i agree with JFreak, if you don't want to spend $500 more dollars then don't...unless you do a lot of 3d rendering...

hope this helps a bit

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Photoshop CS3 regular will do you ok, if you can afford the extended edition or get the student edition all the better, but just for image editing and photographic work then regular version should be fine ;)

jason999

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008

Download the trial version which from memory works for about 30 days before it requires registration. Then you can work out if you'll need the extra features.

Its about a 400Mb file download for the trial version from the Adobe.com web site.

For help on how to use adobe photoshop go to the youtube.com site and type in photoshop and you'll see gazillions of video tutes on how to use photoshop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.