Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eeden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I'm new with photosoftware and I intend to spend some time learning elements 6. I recently switched to the mac platform.

If I learn to use elements on a Mac, will I be able to use elements on a PC? (are the functions and interface similair?) I would like to know the same for Lightroom 2.

If I edit a photo on a Mac, will it look the same on a windows machine?

Thank you in advance

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm new with photosoftware and I intend to spend some time learning elements 6. I recently switched to the mac platform.

If I learn to use elements on a Mac, will I be able to use elements on a PC? (are the functions and interface similair?) I would like to know the same for Lightroom 2.

Thank you in advance

The interface is the same, you'll have to substitute the clover key for control on the PC in terms of keyboard shortcuts.
It depends on how the system is set up as far as how the image looks on each platform. OSX is a color-managed OS, and the browser (Safari) is also part of that color management, but Macs traditionally used a different gamma setting than PCs. You can change the gamma point, color temperature, and everything else on the Mac.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Thank you in advance

The PC version of PSE has some extra functions not included on the Mac version because Macs already have iPhoto. But as for as editing goes All reasonably recent versions of Photoshop (CS and Elements) are enough alike that skills transfer over. Same for LR.

As for how the images will look. Macs are color managed everywere but on the PC only some applications are. But if you are using Photoshop the image will look alike on both systems but if you some some other PC app it might not understand about color spaces and the like and get the color wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.