Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Hi guys , I've never used photoshop before but I'm doing a course at college that involves photoshop so I thought I would buy elements to get used to the basic functions / features.

I have just a couple of questions if you will be so kind as to answer them.

will this suit my needs for basic image manipulation and graphics design?

can I use Photoshop cs3 files(pc) with elements 6 (mac) ?

Is elements 6 good and does it run well on mac's?

Does this offer many features or is it really cut down from cs3??

Edit: One last thing , I need to be able to make graphics with images like posters etc , will this suffice?

Thanks.:)

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
it will run

I can only answer one question: adobe runs faster on mac's than on pc's. And it's almost native on mac os x. So I don't think it will be a problem running ps elements on your mac.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
will this suit my needs for basic image manipulation and graphics design?

I myself use PS Elements 6 for Windows and it does suit my basic needs. It lacks however masks, colour manipulation/ranges and a few other features that CS3 have.

For basics, it's great, but if you want to ever take it a bit further, you may wish you had some of the CS3 features.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I myself use PS Elements 6 for Windows and it does suit my basic needs. It lacks however masks, colour manipulation/ranges and a few other features that CS3 have.

You're overstating it a bit. The only color space option Elements doesn't have, as far as I know, is CMYK - not something that's commonly used in photo processing.

Elements supports layers, but not layer masks - however there are ways to fake it. The average photographer, though, probably couldn't care less about layer masks.

Basically, Photoshop Elements does everything the typical photographer care about - they're exactly the target market for the product.

Edit: One last thing , I need to be able to make graphics with images like posters etc , will this suffice?

Can you explain what exactly "make graphics with images like posters" means? It can be interpreted about 100 completely different ways.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
You're overstating it a bit. The only color space option Elements doesn't have, as far as I know, is CMYK - not something that's commonly used in photo processing.

Elements supports layers, but not layer masks - however there are ways to fake it.

Thank you. I never figured a way to make the masks that many tutorials required. After seeing that site though, I think Elements would be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.