Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I had PSE8 trial for 28 days and used it enough to buy it.
(I shoot in RAW for all files)

My issue:
I can no longer save a RAW file opened in iPhoto as jpeg, see below.

My workflow was simple with trial version:
-import into iPhoto, PSE8 set as default editor upon edit click
-open file/edit, save as RAW to desktop if want further edit, if not save as jpeg to desktop
-import into iPhoto the final jpeg (or save directly into iPhoto folders if I'm editing a jpeg opened in iPhoto, I won't mess with iPhoto file structure)
Like below
PSE8%20save%20jpg%20shown.jpg

Then, I bought PSE8, got it yesterday, loaded it last night, serial#, etc.
Upon following exact same workflow the save as menu dropped many choices.
PSE8%20save%20jpg%20missing.jpg

This is strange.
Bug not a feature??
I checked the file preferences and nothing there that I could see that affects this.
PSE8%20Save%20Pref.jpg

Any help/advice is appreciated.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Being noob to PSE8 I found my "issue" by opening files and observing what is onscreen and menus.

File was coming across as 16bit/channel upon import.
16%20bits%3AChannel.jpg

I can use that for editing but for jpeg/other need to downconvert to 8bit/channel.
16%20bits%3AChannel-2.jpg

Maybe this will help others, or just I'm the rookie in training, back to editing now.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I do things a little different than you, except for having PSE as the default application for editing in the iPhoto's Preferences.

This is what I do:

a. Download the RAW images from the camera to a folder on the desktop-using PSE (Bridge).

b. Edit individual RAW images using PSE, and saving them in the same folder in TIFF format, either in 16 or 8-bits (leaving the original RAW intact).

c. Import the TIFF images into iPhoto (not the RAW images).

d. Saving the folder on the desktop, with all the photos, to an external hard drive, and to DVD's.

e. I can use the photos in iPhoto to e-mail to family and friends, print, change the format to JPEG copy, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.