Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
For those of you who have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of PS 8, it's finally available - both for Windows and Mac...

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/?promoid=BPDEM

It was a long wait for me especially, because I had to downgrade from PS 7 to PS 6 when I switched and bought a new Mac Mini. Unfortunately the Mac version of PS 7 never made it out the door. But this time Adobe did the right thing and released the new version for both platforms simultaneously. Now I'm a happy camper :D

Oops, sorry for being a little bit hasty there. The PC version is available for immediate download, but the Mac version is pre-order only. Hopefully Adobe won't keep us waiting too much longer.

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
I don't get it; how do you take one photo with flash, and one without, when your subject is people? Nice idea, but I don't see how it could work with people.

I got PSE6 for free when I bought a Wacom Bamboo, but I'm not sure there's anything worth upgrading for in there. Vector tools; all I want is vector tools...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't get it; how do you take one photo with flash, and one without, when your subject is people? Nice idea, but I don't see how it could work with people.

Possibly because the flash can produce harsh and flat features. So by combining the best elements of a flash and flashless picture, you may get a better result then the individual picture.

Nice idea on paper, not sure how well it would work in practice though.

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
Nice idea on paper, not sure how well it would work in practice though.
That's what I mean - it's a variation on the HDR technique, but can you bracket shots with and without flash? I don't think my camera does that. And if you use a tripod, take a flash shot, then turn off the flash, the subjects will have moved. I'd rather have seen HDR in there for those who want to use it.

Oh, and vector tools...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think my D70s can handle bracketing with and w/o the flash - I just turn the flash off. I don't use the built in flash on the camera but the SB600

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I'm glad to see Elements get updated (even though I use CS4). Elements 6 was stagnant. Also glad to see that the Mac/PC versions are on the same page.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Not a great review, in fact very poor IMHO, but at least a little more info on what's new and the differences between the Mac and PC versions.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/309367/review/photoshop_elements_8.html

I'm very happy to see that CS4 Bridge is included with the Mac version, because I really think that it's a great organizational tool for viewing, sorting etc. I just hope that the CS4 version is a lot faster in opening thumbnails than the CS3 version which ships with PS 6. Ideally it will be as fast as Photo Mechanic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.