Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bemylover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Hi, so I am thinking to buy photoshop elements to my gf for her birthday. She likes digital photography and she's pretty good at it for an amateur. Right now she uses some software that came with her camera, and she has a PC, not a mac. So I have a few questions:

1. Will the photoshop elements be useful for her?

2. Will it be substantial upgrade from that software that came with the camera?

3. Shall I go for the latest version? I've heard it is slower the the previous one.

Thanks.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Elements most likely will offer a lot more control over her photos than the default software. I would go with the latest version, just because it is a gift, but that's just me talking. I'd wager the speed difference is somewhat negligible, assuming her computer is properly equipped.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I'd say it would depend upon how high maintenance your girlfriend is as you may well dig yourself a hole because "you were cheap and didn't buy the full version of Photoshop", however if you are likely to get that response then it isn't a relationship I would want to be in! Failing that I would say yes it is a great gift and agree with the other poster to get the most recent version.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
PSE would be a great gift. tell her that you were considering the full version of PS, but it is very confusing to those starting out in professional photography. Then get something else to go along with it so you dont look like you are being cheap.

Hi, so I am thinking to buy photoshop elements to my gf for her birthday. She likes digital photography and she's pretty good at it for an amateur. Right now she uses some software that came with her camera, and she has a PC, not a mac. So I have a few questions:

3. Shall I go for the latest version? I've heard it is slower the the previous one.

Thanks.

You certainly have the option of buying an older version. You most certainly do not have to have the most recent version. In fact going with an older version might be a bit better as you could score some books to go along with it for next to nothing. It will be a substantial upgrade pretty much regardless of what version you end up getting. PS, even elements is just drastically more powerful than the software that comes with the cameras. You dont want to go to far back so I would either get the previous version or the one before that.

You should get her a softar filter or some other diffusion filter for her digital camera to go along with it. Women love soft focus.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Photoshop Elements is a great program. If she's doing editing with OEM software, it will be a HUGE upgrade for her. The added features in the full version of Photoshop are not even close to being worth the added cost to someone just getting started in digital editing. Yes, get the latest version.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Buy the Wacom "Bambo Fun" graphic tablet. It has Photoshop Elements bundled with it and sells for not much more than just "Elements" alone. Anyone who works with photos will need the tablet.

And yes PS really is the standard. If some one is going to spend the hours and weeks to learn this software they may as well learn PS.

Buy the Wacom "Bambo Fun" graphic tablet. It has Photoshop Elements bundled with it and sells for not much more than just "Elements" alone. Anyone who works with photos will need the tablet.

And yes PS really is the standard. If some one is going to spend the hours and weeks to learn this software they may as well learn PS.

Couldn't agree more. I have seen people in other threads recommending other software like Pixelmator and it just boggles my mind. The filter aspect of PS just by itself is more than enough reason to pick that over the other offerings. There are of course MANY other reasons to choose PS over the other choices but I am not even going to bother getting into those. The bottom line is that PS is, BY FAR, the best and the most powerful photo editing software on the market. Why settle for 2nd best? Start with Elements and if you ever feel like your ready for something more update to the full pro version.

There is a lot of gear out there that comes with Elements already bundled inside including scanners, printers and tablets and you would definitely be smart to give those a look as you will end up getting it for free and putting that money towards other equipment she might want.

bemylover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Thanks guys. Could you tell me where I can buy the scanner/printer+PS together? I kind of looked in couple places online but could not find the bundle.

Thanks guys. Could you tell me where I can buy the scanner/printer+PS together? I kind of looked in couple places online but could not find the bundle.

I honestly dont know which models are now packaging it in for free. That kind of stuff changes all the time. Your best bet would be to either get in touch with Adobe and ask them if they can give you a list of equipment currently offering the free version of Elements or you could always contact a store like B&H or Adorama. I am sure that they could tell you that as well. Again that stuff changes all the time. I do know that I myself received a copy when I purchased my Epson V750 Pro flatbed scanner a few months back. So its a good bet that Epson is offering it in a lot of their products. So give Epson a look as well. While the V-750 is a bit expensive, you should be able to find a lot of lower priced products that are also packing it in for free.

Good luck!

I just hopped over to Epson and looked at some of thier models. If you click on the "Whats in the Box" tab it will show you if its included with that model.

One of the models its included with is the Epson Stylus Photo 1400 Ink Jet Printer. Its Regularly a 299.99 dollar printer but there is a current promotion that makes it only 219.00. That would be a fantastic printer for her. Up to 13x19 prints, 4x6 photos in 45 seconds, 5760 x 1440 optimized resolution, 6 color ink. I dont know how much you were looking to spend but this is a fantastic deal and she will be getting a great printer that usually costs 300 plus Adobe PS elements and its only 219.00. If you want my advice, this is what I would get her. I am not sure if your familiar with Epson printers but they make really nice prints.

Again this is without a doubt what I would get her. While the tablet idea is a sound one, I think people are interested in printers more than tablets and I used PS for well over 7 years without using a tablet. They are certainly not required. I would go with the printer.

titaniummd

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009

Thanks.

I have PE 6 for the Mac. I bought Photoshop for the old Windows machine and I didn't use 1/2 of the extra stuff (what a waste of $$$$).

All I do is correct exposures, lighting and crop. However, I also restore photos with the stamp tool and other basic techiniques.

It is more user friendly than the camera software.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
PSe is good.... and the v7 has a nice and chic interface with a way better Bridge!
For someone who likes photography.. its probably the perfect gift!

And boy is the Wacom tablet fun... seriously it is!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.