Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
Big decision now which one aperture 2.0 or photoshop what shall i do. what i do is make photo books with picture i am using iphoto now but i have aporx 11000 pics and i think its time to move up please give some thoughts.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
No one has any experience with Aperture 2.0, it was just released today. So thats not a good comparison. Now if you were choosing between Aperture 1.5 and elements, I would say Photoshop elements. I have Aperture, but i almost never use it. I use PS CS3, and then catalogue my photos in iPhoto. Aperture kind of combines both PS and iPhoto; it lets you do some more advanced photo editing, though not to the degree of PS, and also lets you catalogue your photos.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I'd suggest downloading the 30-day free trial of Aperture and see how you like it - if it does everything you want then buy it.

There is some overlap between the two, but they aren't really competing products - they cover different purposes.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Actually iPhoto is awesome too... Aperture is at a really good price so for photo book design it's the best choice.

Elements... I don't know whether it can do photo books?

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
how can i test the photoshop elements does anyone have the link to download the program before i buy to see if i like it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Big decision now which one aperture 2.0 or photoshop what shall i do. what i do is make photo books with picture i am using iphoto now but i have aporx 11000 pics and i think its time to move up please give some thoughts.

The programs do different things. Both iPhoto and Aperture are for organization and for making small tweaks to the image.

Programs like PS Elements and Photoshop CS3 are for editing the insides of images with tools like the clone stamp tool or brushes and layers and masks and so on.

Yes, there is some overlap in functions Adobe Bridge does allow for organization and iPhoto/Aperture does allow some minor touch-up edits but for the most part the two knds of programs do not compete. Most people would say you need both.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Both. Aperture 2 for raw development, which is more accurate and adjustable than Adobe raw converter for my camera data... and then Elements for retouch, resize for whatever, insert watermark, save as whatever, and of course a multitude of artistic and photographic philters.:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.