Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amd4me

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
if someone has the time I would absolutely love a Where The Wild Things Are desktop.
I could even pay a little bit of money for it.:)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Two words:

Copyright violation.

With the movie coming out, I expect if you hold your breath, Warner Brothers will put out something official in the next few months.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I hardly think using an image as a desktop is a copyright violation.

I tried quickly searching for it but didn't get any high resolution images, sorry.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003

I tried quickly searching for it but didn't get any high resolution images, sorry.

You might be able to make the case for copyright violation when the word cash was used. I would think you making something for your own exclusive use like a desktop is no problem. Perhaps it is still violating the letter of the law but no one would mind?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Then you should think again, or consult a legal professional in your jurisdiction, because my reading of the US copyright law has me believing that offering a third party's image for monetary gain without the copyright holder's permission is illegal. My reading also has me believe that if it's an image from a book that's registered with the US Copyright office putative damages apply which puts the potential liability in the five to six figure range.

I do a fair amount of computer forensics, often dealing with intellectual property issues.

You'll find that most photography forums that include people selling images for money will have people who're more familiar with the copyright issues than the average person, and who understand what it means to have their images abused by folks who don't have permission.

YMMV, IANAL, HTH- HAND...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.