Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Untill now, I thought that the only way to make a photo fascinating was the filters of photoshop.
But I heard about packages of actions that have very good results.
I do not know what is better!
Should I prefer looking for actions or filters?

I know that filters at its own file format (8bf or something like that) should be compatible in windows and mac os x.

But what about photoshop filters that come in the format of a self-installable package(.exe etc)? Are these suitable for mac os x or not?

Best filter collections and actions for photoshop on mac?

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Filters do not make a photograph fascinating. Creativity, talent, time and a whole heap on luck do that.

Filters are tools used to create effects. Actions are just protocols of commands. Actions can include filters.

What do you want to do? Do you want to be inspired by a filters and actions, or are you looking for a special effect?

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I want to make special effects. Not ordinary photo processing. I thought actions were about repetitive tasks but I ve seen recently actions doing terrible things, so I suppose they contained filters?

I just find that photos with specific effects draw my attention.
Of course it is possible to be inspired from the results!

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I have some .8bf filters.
I thought it was cross-platform but I put them to plugins folder and photoshop cs2 does not recognise them.
I open filter menu and they do not appear. Why?

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I have some .8bf filters.
I thought it was cross-platform but I put them to plugins folder and photoshop cs2 does not recognise them.
I open filter menu and they do not appear. Why?

Any expert to tell me?

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
The 8bf.net site clearly states that the plug-ins are Windows only, so no you can't use them on a Mac. But i see nothing in there that can't be done already with Photoshop's own filters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.