Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnapperUK

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
London
Have just started having a problem with Photoshop CS3 claiming to be out of memory. The exact message reads. "Could not complete your request because there is not enough memory (RAM)."
I am getting this when I trying to convert a scan colour negative (100 mb) to B/W using the Black & White Adjustment.
What is even more confusing is that this machine is maxed out with a huge 32GB of RAM. It is a 2 x 3.2 ghz Quad Intel Xeon running 10.5.6, so really should be able to handle this without a sweat.
In PS performance has allocated a full 2810 Mb and has two scratch disks each with over 250 GB available.
So far I haven't had this problem with other operations and have handled way bigger files.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

waiwai

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Florida
2814 mb... that's just a little shy of 3GB of memory u've given PS to work with... u have 32GB... with only 3 GB useable.... ur machine will most definitely choke on a 100mb RAW.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
2814 mb... that's just a little shy of 3GB of memory u've given PS to work with... u have 32GB... with only 3 GB useable.... ur machine will most definitely choke on a 100mb RAW.

PS is still 32 bit on OS X - 3GB is all it can directly use.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Don't see any reason why that won't work. Update the app?

Did you allocate MB or Mb? Huge difference.

It's a 100MB scan, not 100MB RAW.

SnapperUK

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
London
Sorted...

I followed the Adobe troubleshooting and first thing I did sorted it.
Basically it was a problem in the preferences. I trashed them and restarted and it is working.
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.