Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bchamorro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
I need a program to edit a few photos that I am going to submit for a magazine.

I only plan on working with photos (no graphic design).

Should I go with Photoshop CS3 or Lightroom?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Do you need something that extensive?

Have you thought of Gimpshop or even Pixelmator?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Gimpshop is open source and needs X11 install, IIRC.

Pixelmator is new and pretty damned good. Available with 10 other apps at the moment for $49 via MacHeist.

bchamorro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Pixelmator looks really good.

I don't really need the importing and organizing features of Lightroom. Would it be a waste if I bought it? (I have student discount)

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
Start with a free / cheaper application and consider getting a book of Lightroom from the library - if your sensible / cheap

If your wanting to invest in software then Lightroom is better than Photoshop for photographers (certainly for new comers and hobbiests). Photoshop can do more but Lightroom is a photographers piece of software whereas Photoshop (despite the confusing name) is mainly for Graphic Designers.

Ideally, you want to do most of your post processing in Lightroom and the finishing touches in Photoshop CS3 - but thats a lot of money when 80% of the work is generally done in Lightroom.

Lightroom is also easier to use and quicker to learn. Lightroom and Photoshop Elements might be a worth while looking into. Try downloading a trial version of Lightroom and see how you like it.

Google search Lightroom Killer Tips videos because there are some get free video tutorials out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.