Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiggle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Hong Kong
What will happen to all the photo shop plugins when photoshop becomes a universal binary. Will the plugins I have now still work or will I need to buy new ones? Any ideas anyone?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
tiggle said:
What will happen to all the photo shop plugins when photoshop becomes a universal binary. Will the plugins I have now still work or will I need to buy new ones? Any ideas anyone?

That depends on what Adobe does. They could with effort make the old PPC plugins work.

Do old plugins for older versions of Photoshop work with CS2?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
ChrisA said:
That depends on what Adobe does. They could with effort make the old PPC plugins work.

Do old plugins for older versions of Photoshop work with CS2?

Only running under Rosetta. You cannot load PPC code into the memory space of an UB running nativly on Intel. If the plugins run as totally independant programs they'd be fine but I'm 99% sure that's not the case.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
robbieduncan said:
Only running under Rosetta. You cannot load PPC code into the memory space of an UB running nativly on Intel. If the plugins run as totally independant programs ...

That's what I ment. CS3 would have to "fork" a process that was a wraper around the PPC plugin and pass information via some kind of message passing, perhaps a pipe. Will Adobe go through this effort? Would be be fast enough to make it worth doing? Better to simply replace the plug ins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.