Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
I am on an iMac G4, using Tiger. When using a previously working Photoshop, for some reason, when I try to open an image now, I get the following error message: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."

I've tried restarting, and repairing permissions, and then restarting. I'm just not sure what to do to get it to work again. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks!

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
Hi ThisGirl,
What version of Photoshop are you using? I would suggest deleting the preferences (in Users/Library/Preferences) and if that doesn't work, then delete and reinstall Photoshop.

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
Hi super_kev,
Thanks for replying. I'm using CS.
I will try your suggestion and let you know if it worked.
Thanks!

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
I went into the Preferences, but there are a LOT associated with Photoshop.

This is part of the list:

Adobe (Folder with Adobe Filter Gallery CS, Adobe Liquefy CS Preferences,and a folder called Workflow)
Adobe Image Ready CS Settings (a folder with several ImageReady files like Plug-ins, optimizations, Swatches, cache...etc)
Adobe Photoshop CS settings (folder with several files ending in .psp)

Do you mean take all of these out?

Thanks

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
ThatGirl said:
I went into the Preferences, but there are a LOT associated with Photoshop.
That's okay, you don't have to remove things by hand. Just hold down option-command-shift while launching Photoshop, and it will prompt you to delete the settings that usually cause that error message.

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
iMeowbot said:
That's okay, you don't have to remove things by hand. Just hold down option-command-shift while launching Photoshop, and it will prompt you to delete the settings that usually cause that error message.

Oh, thanks! O.k. I'll try it. :)

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
Nope.

Still get: "Unable to complete your request because of a program error."

(Yes, there is enough memory for PS CS).

If I reload it, how do I make sure I got all of the pieces of the corrupted copy out? I remember in older Mac systems you had to go in and actually take out the extensions, etc. Do you still have to do that in Tiger?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Has the iMac always run Tiger or did you used to use Panther on it?

There was a problem if you did an Archive & Install from Panther to Tiger where the Adobe File Types document wasn't carried over to the appropriate Application Support folder. This could cause problems with PS opening images. Just a thought...

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
There should be a Adobe folder in Application Support, a few files and folders in preferences (my version 7 has a PS 7 Paths file, PS 7 Settings folder, Adobe Online Prefs file, IR 7 Prefs folder, Save for Web file, and an Adobe folder). And those are just under the User account. Under the HD (Macintosh HD/Library) you'll find a Adobe folder in App Support. That should do it.

GrandJediMM

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2007
Restart in SAFE mode

Here's what I did, which worked even after re-installing CS2 didn't:

Shut down the MAC. Disconnect Wacom tablet (if you're using one). Install a standard mouse. Restart in Safe Mode (hold down the SHIFT key until the grey screen with the Apple appears. Release the SHIFT key when you see the grey Apple). Log on as before, launch Photoshop, repeat the operation which was causing the error. In my case, the error did not recur. Reconnect the Wacom tablet (if applicable), restart in normal mode (no keys depressed) and disconnect the mouse.

I hope this helps someone else -- I pulled my hair out on this problem for several days.

peko

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
I have found the fix!

Ive spent 2 days trying to fix this and I finally have!

this is what i did which worked.

Go to versiontracker.com and download cocktail for leopard. Run cocktail and first repair your computers permissions then go and clean your cache files, select options and check off every cache possible. Run the clean cache and it will ask you to restart once you restart your problem with photoshop giving you a program error should stop.

History: My photoshop CS3 would give me a "....program error..." whenever I tried to use the text tool. I haven't installed or done anything recently to affect it. I looked at my permissions today and found a bunch of SUID problems that couldn't be repaired even when booting off my leopard disk and running disk utility. Previously I tested photoshop using a guest account and it worked flawless, i tried replacing my photoshop prefs, settings etc.. with those of the guest account to no avail. I tried deleting the setting for photoshop manually and by holding down option, ****, command on launch of it. I tried the safe mode method mentioned above which didn't work.

I believe it's a problem dealing with the cache above all other things. Hope this works for everyone else!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.