Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brando06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
So i just got Photoshop and i am such a noob. I am looking to take a few pictures ie. I am doing this workout routine for 90 days where i want to compare photos of all of the weeks. Is there any way to take the weekly photos and merge them into ONE photo that looks classy?? Anyone give me any ideas PLEASE PLEASE HELP. I have searched the net for ways to do it but can not figure it out. I have taken the pictures and previewed them and then just taken a screen shot of them. But i know there has to be a way to make it look a lot nicer.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The "classic" way to do this is to make a new canvas and then make a layer for each photo you want to add to the canvas.

I think the general rule with PS is that anytime you can't figure out how to do something, just break the problem down into layers and composite the layers back into what you want.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
The "classic" way to do this is to make a new canvas and then make a layer for each photo you want to add to the canvas.

I think the general rule with PS is that anytime you can't figure out how to do something, just break the problem down into layers and composite the layers back into what you want.

Theoretically, this would work nicely (just pile 'em all on top of each and adjust the opacities).

However, you'll have a lot of tweaking to do if unless you can figure out how to take all of the pictures in the exact same position, in the exact same place.

brando06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007

Ok, but once i have all of the layers canvased how do i save them all into ONE Photo?

brando06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
you click file, then you click save as. then you click jpeg. then you are done. then you yelp for joy. then you find something else to do, etc.

If i do that though, it only saves the file that is selected

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Ok, but once i have all of the layers canvased how do i save them all into ONE Photo?

If you speak "Photoshop-ease" the word is "flatten". You "flatten the image and then all the layers get compressed. If you save it as a PSD file yu preserve all the layers but if you flatten it then they are compressed into one layer

You really should buy a book. Amazon has countless photoshop books and there are videos too. The software is so expensive it's a waste not know how to use it.

beetlejuice

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2006
yeah, Chris is right on that one. There is sooooo much photoshop can do that people don't know about. Get a book and just plow through it and try to apply it to stuff you have. You'll be surprised how fast you become proficient with just a little work.

uberfoto

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
Create a new document as wide as all of your images added together. Place images side by side and save. Done.

You could add text at the bottom of each saying "week 1," "week 2," "week 3..."

superninjagoat

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2004
Apex, N.C
try this

I think you want something different than what others are trying to tell you to do. Try this:

Open all the photos you want to compare. Look for an option (I don't have the program on this computer) called photo contact 2, or some such. It will put all of the open documents into one document, complete with title.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I think you want something different than what others are trying to tell you to do. Try this:

Open all the photos you want to compare. Look for an option (I don't have the program on this computer) called photo contact 2, or some such. It will put all of the open documents into one document, complete with title.

You're thinking of the Automate feature that creates a contact sheet. This isn't the look that the OP asked for, however. He doesn't want all of the pictures put side by side, he wants them on top of one another so that you can clearly see the progress.

brando06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
You're thinking of the Automate feature that creates a contact sheet. This isn't the look that the OP asked for, however. He doesn't want all of the pictures put side by side, he wants them on top of one another so that you can clearly see the progress.

That's cool, i do not mind if they are side by side!!

superninjagoat

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2004
Apex, N.C

Actually, he didn't specify one way or the other. He just wanted a classy-looking way to compare things in one file. It was the assumptions of the responding posters that dictated one layered file. If you read the original post, he mentions opening up multiple files and taking a screen shot. That sounded like a poor-mans contact sheet to me.

I was just offering another perspective. Seems he liked it.

OP: Did you get the Contact Sheet 2 to work? PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Actually, he didn't specify one way or the other. He just wanted a classy-looking way to compare things in one file. It was the assumptions of the responding posters that dictated one layered file. If you read the original post, he mentions opening up multiple files and taking a screen shot. That sounded like a poor-mans contact sheet to me.

I was just offering another perspective. Seems he liked it.

OP: Did you get the Contact Sheet 2 to work? PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck.

My bad. I misunderstood the "merge" usage.. to me, "merge" means one photo, not photos side by side.

In that case, contact sheet oughta work just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.