Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Hi. I have been trying to figure this out for a while now. I have Photoshop CS and want to extract something from one picture and paste it onto another.

For Example
hpipod.jpg

Ok here is someone holding an iPod. How could I extract the iPod from the picture and paste it on another image? I have seen everyone doing this one way or another on MacRumors and wanted to know. For Example, like with the Pancake avatar fiasko which I still don't understand.:rolleyes:

Thanks, Kevin

Johnny Rico

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2005
Here's the response that I gave to the same question a few hours ago,
"It depends on lighting, scale, etc., but the way I usually do it is to lasso around what you want to move, copy it, then paste it in the target image. Then when you have your object selected clean up the edges with an eraser. Usually works ok."

Pretty much what you'll want to do is draw around the ipod with your lasso, then copy your selection. It's fine to draw a bit outside of the ipod, you can touch that up later. Once you have your selection copied, paste it into the target image. Then, with your 'ipod' layer selected, use your eraser (or paintbrush using 'clear' mode) to clean up the edges.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i just got done with mine, and it came out really good.... at least for my first time. It takes a while but the more effort you put in the better it will come out.

andrew050703

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Portsmouth, U.K
Not having CS but PS7 (on my parent's computer many years ago), I used to use the selection mask:- make a rough selection of what you want, then click the selection mask button (at the bottom of the toolbar?) - the screen goes red where you have not selected (or was it the other way round...) and you can fine-tune your selection using a paintbrush. I would be surprised if they have removed this function; Johnny Rico's method will do pretty much the same thing though

FritzTheWonderM

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2003
Planet 10
For an image like this where you have a solid, uniform, background use the magic wand tool. Change the tolerance until you get as clean a selection as you can (note: shift click to add areas, option click to remove areas). Go to quick mask mode and clean up you selection. Copy and paste.

For more complex or lower contrast pictures use the Filter > Extract tool. I find this too tedious most times though, and opt for the (magnetic) Lasso as mentioned already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.