Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I just got a Canon 1000D yesterday and for some reason when i try opening RAW photos in PS its telling me it doesnt recognize the format!?

Do i need a plug-in or anything??

This is my first camera capable of shooting RAW so im pretty new to this. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Using CS3 (if that makes a difference)

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Lightroom 2.0 can also open RAWs from your camera. Alternatively, you can use the Canon software that came with your camera, but that has always been more of a hassle to me than anything.

I agree! That software is no good! What program (with the included software) lets me remotely shoot my camera from my computer?? Thats the only program i care to keep but i dont even know which one it is.
(I just got this camera last night, sorry)

EDIT**** I think it might be Camera Window?? Is that right??

somuchtosayx

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
Jersey, NYC
To take pictures remotely with my Canon XSi I can use the Canon EOS Utility program that came with the camera. Its on the same disk as the rest of the software such as PhotoStitch and Digital Photo Professional.

Also, the Photo professional will let you transfer the RAWs to your computer. I recommend however that you use Lightroom to import as DNG, Digital Negatives) This allows you to edit and manipulate the pictures using metadata (which preserves the original RAW data)

Once the image is loaded as a DNG, open in CS3, complete editing, and "Save As" photo-v2.TIF

This workflow has many advantages:

1: The original RAW is embedded in the DNG file along with a preview (since RAW can't actually be displayed, a JPG Preview is made, embedded, and hidden from the user to stop confusion).
2: Then the DNG can be opened in PS and edited just as you are used to. Except now you save as a new file (cali sunset - edited.TIF for example). This leaves you with the Original RAW, a touched up and properly adjusted version of the original; the DNG, and a fully edited TIF.

This is just a recommendation, see these links for other info on RAW, DNG and workflows:

http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/non_destructive_imaging.pdf

http://www.jkost.com/pdf/lightroom/LR_BestPract08_07.pdf

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
I think the Canon 1000D is on Apple's list of supported cameras. You should be able to import the RAW images directly into iPhoto, Image capture, Preview or Aperture.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1475

I can confirm this - I have the same camera (this is the same as the US version called "XS" right?) and the same laptop, actually CS3 as well. It all works via iphoto, and I have touched up a couple RAWs messing around inside of PS as well. At least I *think* they were RAW, but based on what I read I wonder if I was editing a jpg and didnt realize it... I will have to try later as I am not in front of my mac at the moment...

- Chris

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
If you don't have $199 for Aperture then you can use Image Capture. The Leopard version of Image Capture has a "take a picture" button.
You're right, I forgot about that. At least Panther could do it via any browser as well. Not sure if that's still the case, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.