Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moneyman118

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
My wife would love the feature where you could create a scrapbook on one page adn I couldn't find any of the creative features like anding text to photos in Aperture 2. Is Aperture 2 more of a "pro" editing program and Photoshop is more of a hobby? Please help!
Many thanks in advance!

foxx0775

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
Aperture is really there to complement photoshop. Its in no way a replacement, or a 'pro' thing either. Its more comparible to a 'pro iPhoto' designed to import raw files and be a way of compiling your albums - with more editing features as well.

I used to think aperture was apples answer to photoshop, but it isn't. I use them both together.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
My wife would love the feature where you could create a scrapbook on one page adn I couldn't find any of the creative features like anding text to photos in Aperture 2. Is Aperture 2 more of a "pro" editing program and Photoshop is more of a hobby? Please help!
Wow, that's a first. Well its okay for the confusion, there are people who get confused between these 2 programs nway.

Okay, Aperture is actually a Photo Management Software, its main purpose is to manage your photos and that's all and at the same time offer some adjustments. Now this adjustments usually is what most of us need in most situation but there are some situation where the adjustments offered by Aperture is not suitable, hence come Photoshop.
Photoshop has been around for a very long time, in fact Aperture is very new indeed and Aperture was never meant to replace Photoshop. Photoshop is a photo editing software, that's it. It is not meant to do batch photo editing or etc. Most people use it when they know they need to do editing that only Photoshop can do.

So now that we got clear of, here is a summary:
Photoshop - Photo Editing Software
Aperture - Photo Management Software

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
There's never been a question of Aperture VS Photoshop. It's only Aperture plus Photoshop, and you need Photoshop only for very advanced editing. Most people, however, can easily live without Photoshop and only use Aperture or Lightroom. And even more users - those who don't shoot in RAW - will be happy with iPhoto only.

You could launch yet another Aperture vs Lightroom thread, and in this case it would only be your personal preferences that could make the final decision, because both programs basically do the same but with different user interfaces.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Many thanks in advance!

Given the cost and steep learning curve associated with Photoshop CS4. I'd say it is targeted to professionals photographers and graphic artists although I know it is widely used by amateurs.

Aperture is for catalogging images and for making "adjustments" to the image. Photoshop is for going inside and making changes, say to remove a utility pole from a land scape or to fix skin blemished in a portrait or remove scratches and dust from a scanned image. Graphic artist use PS CS4 for make composite images or even original artwork

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I would like to add to the other comments that...

Aperture is an image editor.
Photoshop is a pixel editor.

I use Aperture everyday for its work flow, and cataloging tools, I don't want nor would use Photoshop to do that.

I use photoshop to make specific edits. In no way are the 2 programs a replacement for one another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.