Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iwtunx

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2022
On my devices, pictures from 10+ years ago that were 150k>400k are now 1.5mb>8mb. Someone sent me a pic that was 1.5mb on their device and when I saved it, it was 2.5mb. Videos are also increasing in size. Even more puzzling, when I edit pictures and remove 3/4 of the original the size DOES NOT DECREASE. I saw a thread on another forum about how, since we’re paying for storage, if the usage increases we’ll need to buy more, and how if we have multiple devices and synch pics/vids to them we’ll have to buy newer devices with more storage to accommodate the increased need for space. I‘m very very skeptical about that, but the weirdness where if I trim a pic by 3/4 (literally, I did that several times with different pics to try to save space), and the size does not decrease at all is very strange. I pulled up a clone I made, before we lost the ability to actually clone w. cli scripts, and the pics on that were much smaller. Any ideas?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Can't speak to your mysterious 10-year-old photo bloat, but editing a photo/video does NOT reduce its size - quite the opposite, edits will increase the total size (a little or a lot, depending on the nature of the edits). iOS retains a "History" of edits so that they can be un-done.

I do most of my editing on a Mac, where if I'm satisfied that I don't want the history I can then "Export" the edit to a new photo/video and delete the old one. I don't often do that but occasionally if it's a HUGE difference - keeping 30 seconds out of a 20-minute video for example - I will.

There may be a similar option on iOS but I'm not familiar enough to know.

Reactions: iwtunx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.