Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kai_Berlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2024
My name is Kai Barthel, I am a professor from the Visual Computing Research Group at the HTW Berlin.

We have released a free app that lets you find images on your Mac by describing them with words.
PicArrange also offers a visual similarity search to find similar images and duplicates. Unlike Finder, PicArrange can sort images not only by name or date, but also by content and color.

Download the app from the App Store:

Here is a short video showing the features of PicArrange:

Here is an introduction to using PicArrange: https://visual-computing.com/project/picarrange/help?p=1
Feedback is welcome

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Search by description is limited to Apple Silicon Macs? Or to Ventura & Sonoma? On Intel Monterey I see only “Drop sample image here”
Drop sample image.jpg

Kai_Berlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2024
Search by description is limited to Apple Silicon Macs? Or to Ventura & Sonoma? On Intel Monterey I see only “Drop sample image here”
View attachment 2404037
As the calculation of the feature vectors for the search is extremely complex, a text to image search and an improved image to image search is unfortunately only possible with Apple Silicon from MacOS 12 onwards.

Kai_Berlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2024
a text to image search and an improved image to image search is unfortunately only possible with Apple Silicon from MacOS 12 onwards (this is indicated on App Store)
(Sorry for double posting, I don't know how to remove my post)

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
a text to image search and an improved image to image search is unfortunately only possible with Apple Silicon from MacOS 12 onwards (this is indicated on App Store)
(Sorry for double posting, I don't know how to remove my post)
I’m sorry, I see it now in the extended description.
You can't remove your posts, but you can edit them.

Kai_Berlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2024
As of version 3.1, PicArrange also includes a fast duplicate search function. The threshold value at which images are classified as duplicates can be set.

Reactions: AlumaMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.