Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
I have Picasa on my Mac because its web albums are a nice way of sharing photos with family and friends. I recently got Aperture 3 and now organise and keep all my photos in the Aperture library.

Now, when I open Picasa it is crazily creating "folders" in the left-hand panel. But it is created folders that don't exist, with names that are just long random strings of letters and numbers. it seems to treat every single Stack in Aperture as a separate folder.

Anybody else seen this and know how to stop it happening?

Cheers!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I've had problems with Picasa not being able to access iPhoto's libraries without copying the files, and the same with Aperture... seems the Apple products like to "own" the files if they're imported directly into them. So, I still use Picasa to import my files from the camera and logically organize them by folder, but then I import them into both Aperture and LR 3 (beta) without moving the files, but only by referencing them. Now, no matter which program I use I can edit the files non-destructively and the original .NEF files remain untouched.

Until I know whether it will be Aperture or LR permanently in the future, I'll keep doing it this way. This way Picasa can still do the basic web uploads (Picasa web albums and Facebook) and I can use the more powerful editors for my Flickr stuff, or printing.

I don't know if this helps...but I know how frustrating it can be sometimes. The other workaround, but it's a pain... is to do the post-processing in Aperture, then just export .jpgs to a folder. Reduce the size to 1600px, and then let Picasa pick them up by "seeing" that folder. That way you can do your web publishing, and the images should look basically the same, and you'll have no need to tweak them in Picasa... basically using Picasa just as a means to publish to the web.

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
Thanks pdxflint. I've been doing the other workaround that you suggest. Last time I tried it, though, Picasa didn't even see that folder. Only the randonmly-named folders.

Previously I had been importing the pictures from the camera (Canon EOS 1000D) using the provided Canon software, which organised them into logical folders by date, then referencing them in Aperture. However, I wanted to have the Masters in the Aperture Library so that I could back them up using Vault. I guess I could import them then delete the others, but that seemed a pain as well.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.