Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YoShLK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
I switched from Windows 10 to macOS about a week ago. I used an outdated version of Picasa to organise my photos while on Windows. Unfortunately, however, Big Sur won't allow me to install Picasa because it's not developed anymore. Can someone recommend an app similar to Picasa, please?

Reactions: alanmcdonley

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I used Picasa on my old Windows machine ages ago. It was good, but I definitely enjoy Photos more, especially using iCloud Photos to have access to everything across my Mac, iPhone and iPad. Depending on how big your library is, you’ll probably need to buy some iCloud storage.

I use both Google Photos and iCloud Photos, but now that Google has done away with free storage, I’m primarily using iCloud Photos. Since I’m paying Apple already for storage, I might as well use it.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
I switched from Windows 10 to macOS about a week ago. I used an outdated version of Picasa to organise my photos while on Windows. Unfortunately, however, Big Sur won't allow me to install Picasa because it's not developed anymore. Can someone recommend an app similar to Picasa, please?
You could try Mylio and see if you like that.

alanmcdonley

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010
Boynton Beach, FL
>Isn't Nikon NX Studio meant for those who are actually using Nikon cameras and lenses?

There are a few features only useful to shots taken with Nikon cameras (optional focus point display ...) but the package works totally for any camera. The only downside for me is long startup time for catalog over 100k pics.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Nikon NX Studio is the best free, non-destructive, organizer-editor with tagging I have found:

Thank you so much for sharing this. I think I'll pass this info on to another person asking for a photo viewer. I've suggested XnViewMP to him, but this is also a cool looking app and much more macOS-like in its appearance than XnViewMP .

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Like you and others, I used Picasa on PC (and Mac) since it's inception...frustrated when they killed it. Used Google Photos until they started charging. So, I decided to pay for Apple One and started trying to migrate 100% to Apple Photos for easy sync across lots of devices. Unfortunately, I ended up paying for Google Photos also because of too many years of many, many thousands of photos, from Apple and Android, and DSLRs.

And, there are still some features in Picasa, like scanning an entire drive and finding every picture in every folder, etc.

So, is there no point in even trying to get Picasa on my new M1 Mac Mini running OS12.4?
Does it try to install and not work, or refuse to even install?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.