Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sthpark7791

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
So today I took my Rebel XT down to the canal to take some pictures. I'm still a beginner (got the camera in may). I'm still reading the book "Understanding Exposure" which was suggested here. It's great!

I'd like comments on the following pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8402955@N06/sets/72157600262589875/

The last three aren't from the same day but I'd still appreciate comments/advice on them. On the very last picture of the sky, there seems to be a lot of noise. How can I avoid this in the future? Using a low ISO resulted in a completely dark picture.

Additionally, my uncle is going to give me his old lens. All he said is that they are from a regular film slr canon. I'll need an adapter to fit this probably, right?
Thanks!

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
mostly good set.
The photo that had the flag on top of the boat, If the flag would have been drawn out more, as in spread out so you could see it. it'd be fine. either zooming in more, or out more would have been good if you couldn't get the flag to cooperate with you.

the photo with the bridge, had a sign that said something about an academy, it doesn't really have a focus. not sure how to fix it.

and the windmill, while it has the focus of the windmill, the fence also draws the eyes away from it. so it's too many things to focus on, so either introduce new object, by zooming out and finding a new focus or raise the view a bit more so a little of fence was showing, and zooming in on the windmill. or playing down the windmill by bringing view down. also that shots crooked, it doesn't quite work there.

the other photo's were great. good job.

I should note, I'm just another photographer. I've had no training, don't make a living on it. Just shoot what I like to see.

on the lens, if it fits... it should be fine, I use nikon so I don't know about the cannon deal. you may loose auto-focus or other small things like that. But I'm not sure,

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
About the lens, it will work. Canon DSLR's are compatible with most if not all regular Canon and Canon compatible SLR lenses:)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Additionally, my uncle is going to give me his old lens. All he said is that they are from a regular film slr canon. I'll need an adapter to fit this probably, right?
Thanks!

As long as it's an EF lens (any Canon autofocus lens will be EF) then it'll work. If it's an older FD mount lens you could get an adaptor, but it will still be manual focus only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.