Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to search the internet for a picture I have that I believe was used by someone else ie. the person on the picture I believe is a model that has done this photoshoot but the person who has the picture is only pretending to be that model.

Any way to find out the origin ( I assume it was pulled off the internet) of the picture and bust that liar out?

Thank you

mynewromantica

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2009
Finding it could be difficult. But even more than that, going after this person could be more difficult if the image has not been officially copyrighted. Unless that is there there is really nothing that can be done about it other than asking them to stop.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
for me it was just to find out if I can trust this person or not. I believe that the picture is misused and wanted to prove it if I was able to find the origin but if its something that is not easy then I will wait for the person to make another more obvious mistake :)))

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I'm not sure I understand this correctly. Are you the photographer, and do you believe that someone is misusing an image that you took?

Or are you the model, and your are thinking that someone else is using an image of you, pretending to be you?

There is a service that allows you to upload a picture to it, and then it will search it's index to see if/where that image appears on the internet. I can't recall the name off the top of my head, but try googling the concept and you may find it.

Regarding copyright..... the rules are different depending on which country you in, and also depend on whether you are the client, the photographer, or the photographer's employer, among other things. There are a hundred opinions on the internet about copyright.... 99 of them are wrong. As an example, in the US not registering an image does not mean it is not copyrighted, it just limits what damages you can claim for infringement of the copyright. etc etc

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
I'm just a regular guy :)))

I found an image that is meant to be my colleague's friend but i believe its misuse of someone else. When I challenged my colleague she got defensive etc. but was unable to prove me wrong so I got suspicios :)))

Thats why I thought I could just upload the image somewhere and it would search the net for the same image if its freely available but perhaps it was too much to ask for :))

I will look at the service. Thanks :)

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
I'm just a regular guy :)))

I found an image that is meant to be my colleague's friend but i believe its misuse of someone else. When I challenged my colleague she got defensive etc. but was unable to prove me wrong so I got suspicios :)))

Thats why I thought I could just upload the image somewhere and it would search the net for the same image if its freely available but perhaps it was too much to ask for :))

I will look at the service. Thanks :)

I'd just drop it.... even if you "prove" her wrong - do you actually win? One day she may be your boss, or married to the boss, or or or....

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
I'd just drop it.... even if you "prove" her wrong - do you actually win? One day she may be your boss, or married to the boss, or or or....

you are right. its not a job i want to do as i am trying to finish my portfolio to get a real job :)
Its the principle that bothered me :)
anyway, thanks :)

ukuleleman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
could be more difficult if the image has not been officially copyrighted.

I would be interested to hear how you 'Officially copyright Copyright' anything,
doesn't it go something like 'I made/wrote it/ took the picture/created it', therefore I automatically own the copyright except if I did it under my boss's
instruction, in which case it belongs to him?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
I would be interested to hear how you 'Officially copyright Copyright' anything,
doesn't it go something like 'I made/wrote it/ took the picture/created it', therefore I automatically own the copyright except if I did it under my boss's
instruction, in which case it belongs to him?

Different countries, different laws.... my understanding is that in the US a photographer can register an image with a copyright office but - that doesn't mean that it isn't copyright if they don't register it. A registered image means that the copyright holder can sue for more money if the image is misused. But, there is a perception among many shooters that they must register in order to copyright an image.

I'm not shooting in US, but since most photo magazines in Canada are from the US we tend to get the American take on things. Most Canadian photographers are likely more knowledgeable about American copyright issues than our own. But that is another thread.... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.