Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Greetings!

I'm trying to do a Digital Design project which has been a thorn in my side. I've decided on a general idea and I need a picture of a few photos hanging on a line in a darkroom. It would be nice if the background was white. Anything you could do would be helpful, I could alter the image in photoshop. I could give some money paypal for the help. Thanks again!

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Would love to help, but I am first going to be developing my own films from next week. Will try to shoot one for you when I start if that's any help.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
cookie1105 said:
Would love to help, but I am first going to be developing my own films from next week. Will try to shoot one for you when I start if that's any help.

That would rock. Thanks!

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
pdpfilms said:
Why don't you just turn on the lights?

If they are "hanging" around the darkroom, I would assume they have been fixed and washed, would light really matter at this point? Except would not give the mood you want, and of course any in the developer tray might suffer.

This shouldn't be too hard to stage if you have access to a darkroom and a tripod.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Very funny gentlemen.:)

Just checking however, once they are hanging up to dry in my bathroom, they can be exposed to light, correct? It's only actually the loading of the film that needs to be completely in the dark?

I am just waiting for my chemicals + developing tank to arrive at the weekend, then I can get started.:D

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
cookie1105 said:
Very funny gentlemen.:)

Just checking however, once they are hanging up to dry in my bathroom, they can be exposed to light, correct? It's only actually the loading of the film that needs to be completely in the dark?

I am just waiting for my chemicals + developing tank to arrive at the weekend, then I can get started.:D

For developing film I got a changing bag, real handy for loading the canisters on the comfort of my couch, rather than the closet with a towel blocking the light at the bottom of the door.

Once the film is fixed light won't hurt it, thats when you take the top off the canister and wash the film. Don't skimp on the washing part either, and try and keep the water temp fairly even. At the end of the wash using photo flo wetting agent is recommended as it will reduce spotting.

I hung mine with weights and used a small hair dryer to speed the drying process. If you plan on getting a scanner you might check and see what the strip lengths are for it, and you cut the strips to match that.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
snap58 said:
For developing film I got a changing bag, real handy for loading the canisters on the comfort of my couch, rather than the closet with a towel blocking the light at the bottom of the door.

Once the film is fixed light won't hurt it, thats when you take the top off the canister and wash the film. Don't skimp on the washing part either, and try and keep the water temp fairly even. At the end of the wash using photo flo wetting agent is recommended as it will reduce spotting.

I hung mine with weights and used a small hair dryer to speed the drying process. If you plan on getting a scanner you might check and see what the strip lengths are for it, and you cut the strips to match that.

Thanks for that. I am going to be following the tutorial on about.com. He says to use water + detergent for the final wash. This should reduce any spotting, I hope.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
cookie1105 said:
Thanks for that. I am going to be following the tutorial on about.com. He says to use water + detergent for the final wash. This should reduce any spotting, I hope.

Well I never tried detergent so can't comment on that, might want to test your method on a couple of rolls with nothing to vital on them before you develop more important ones. Photo-flo is really cheap and made for the final rinse, you can get it in about any photo store that has chemistry.

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2005
California
Moshiiii said:
Greetings!

I'm trying to do a Digital Design project which has been a thorn in my side. I've decided on a general idea and I need a picture of a few photos hanging on a line in a darkroom. It would be nice if the background was white. Anything you could do would be helpful, I could alter the image in photoshop. I could give some money paypal for the help. Thanks again!

wait? you still shoot film ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.