Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
SC
Do this please.

1. Open Calendar

2. Click TODAY in lower left.

3. Click on the month only view if not in it already. So for the date of this post, it's showing you the month of February and the 14 has the red dot on it.

4. Click on the next day, the day after.

What does it show you? Here, it shows me a list view of October 2021 for some reason. Last year, wrong month. At the very bottom in red it does say todays date. But despite clicking a particular day the Calendar takes me to some other random period in time.

5. If you then ignore what its showing you and just hope it is on the day you selected, go ahead and click the "+" I the upper right to add an event. Sure enough when I do this, its wanting to create an even for the 14th of October 2021. :|

6. Cancel out of that and let's just go back to the main calendar view. If you click the upper left BACK, you'll see it's showing October 2021 for me, so doing that, sure enough takes you only back to the month of October 2021. OKAY.

7. Lower left is the TODAY button. Smash it. This advances us forward in time to the present once again.

So how do I set an even for a future date?

8. Now that were are back to the correct and current day, smash the "+" in the upper right. This at least creates an event for the correct, current, DAY. Then from here I can change the date to whatever I want. Like tomorrow. Ridiculous.

My iPhone's Calendar has had this issue going back to iPhone 6. I have done totally fresh installs with new phones. No carry over. Just clean activations. Yet this bizarre calendar behavior still continues. Most of the time I use Siri to set events, but on occasion I will do it manually and then forget this bug and wonder why I missed an appointment. The fact that there isn't even a built in protection for setting events or appointments BACK IN TIME is also DUMB. iOS could at least error out or warn you that the date you have selected has already passed.

Good grief.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
I'm unable to reproduce this, it seems to be working fine for me. Tapping the next day takes me to February 15th, and tapping the + will create the even for the 15th.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
P.S. my calendar app seems to act normally. No weird behavior like described in the original post.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Ok, I was able to reproduce it and see what you mean now. It sounds like you're showing all your events when you're in the day view, which causes the + button to default to the date shown at the top of the screen (for me, it's Dec 28th).

When you're in the day view (after step 4), there is a button at the top of the screen that looks like a bulleted list. Tap that so it doesn't show your entire calendar events in a list. Now when you select a day in the calendar, it should show the hours for the selected day, and the + button will default to that selected day.

Last edited:

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
SC
Ok, I was able to reproduce it and see what you mean now. It sounds like you're showing all your events when you're in the day view, which causes the + button to default to the date shown at the top of the screen (for me, it's Dec 28th).

When you're in the day view (after step 4), there is a button at the top of the screen that looks like a bulleted list. Tap that so it doesn't show your entire calendar events in a list. Now when you select a day in the calendar, it should show the hours for the selected day, and the + button will default to that selected day.
THANK YOU!!!!! That fixed it! It behaves like it feels like it should. A normal calendar! Woohoo!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.