Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samotivad

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2021
Hello,

I use white noise on my HomePod Minis to cover outside noise during the morning and stop it from waking me up. I don't know why but this week, the white noise starting having loop problems. So instead of looping seamlessly, there is a short pause between the end and start of the loop. This pause unfortunately causes me to wake up and not get back to sleep.

The way I have the white noise set up is with an automation that begins shortly before it starts to get noisy outside my bedroom in the morning. It selects a specific sound from Apple's Ambient Noises on Apple Music, then plays it in a continuous loop. I also have a scene set up with the same behaviour, so that I can request if I need it.

The way that looping ambient sound works on my iPhone has always been problematic, causing pauses between the start/end of the loop. Until now the HomePod Minis worked though, so I imagine this new behaviour is caused by an update from Apple.

Has anybody else who uses white noise on the HomePod Minis had this issue recently and if you did, have you found a way to solve it?

Thank you

lance-a-lot

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2017
I use White Noise from Apple's Ambient Sounds every night. No problems with pauses. I don't have it automated though.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Hello,

I use white noise on my HomePod Minis to cover outside noise during the morning and stop it from waking me up. I don't know why but this week, the white noise starting having loop problems. So instead of looping seamlessly, there is a short pause between the end and start of the loop. This pause unfortunately causes me to wake up and not get back to sleep.

The way I have the white noise set up is with an automation that begins shortly before it starts to get noisy outside my bedroom in the morning. It selects a specific sound from Apple's Ambient Noises on Apple Music, then plays it in a continuous loop. I also have a scene set up with the same behaviour, so that I can request if I need it.

The way that looping ambient sound works on my iPhone has always been problematic, causing pauses between the start/end of the loop. Until now the HomePod Minis worked though, so I imagine this new behaviour is caused by an update from Apple.

Has anybody else who uses white noise on the HomePod Minis had this issue recently and if you did, have you found a way to solve it?

Thank you
Somewhat related…I listen to a soft rain music file on loop when I’m trying to sleep. Starting recently, probably with iOS 15.4, there is a short pause when the file starts over. This never happened before and was never noticeable.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Somewhat related…I listen to a soft rain music file on loop when I’m trying to sleep. Starting recently, probably with iOS 15.4, there is a short pause when the file starts over. This never happened before and was never noticeable.t.
I noticed the same problem with my soft rain loop music file last night. You are right. This started happening with 15.4 Instead of keeping me asleep, the constant starting over wakes me up.

BalutFX

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have the same problem with our custom scenes using loop able tracks. I have seen many other posts about this problem in other support forums. I believe it only started happening after the 15.4 update.

samotivad

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2021
Ah that's a shame, it looks like a bug with the update then. I've been getting around it by asking Siri to play "white noise sounds" before I go to sleep. With that sound it doesn't have a pause for me when the loop restarts.

I hope Apple will fix the problem at some point soon though because I prefer the other white noise sounds rather than the default HomePod one.

jocamero

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Same. There are numerous reports of this over at /r/HomePod as well. I'd suggest submitting feedback to Apple and opening a support case.

BalutFX

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Same. There are numerous reports of this over at /r/HomePod as well. I'd suggest submitting feedback to Apple and opening a support case.

Thanks for posting he link. I did submit feedback earlier, but thought it was interesting that they only list up to version 15.1 on their dropdown input field. Guess that feedback page needs it's own feedback page...

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 7.26.25 AM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.