Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I got some mkv movie files on my iMac. I want to transfer them to my iPhone and watch them there. How do i transfer them and with what app would you recommend to watch?

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
  • Install VLC app on phone
  • Go to Itunes
  • Connect your phone via usb cable or Itunes Wifi Sync
  • Click on the symbol for your phone at top left-ish area of Itunes
  • Within the left side you see left meny for your phone settings, click on "Apps"
  • You get a page with two parts "Apps" on top hallf,but below that Scroll down to the very bottom of the page that comes up, (be careful to scroll the entire page and not just scroll within the "Apps" section
  • That brings you to the second/bottom half of the page called: "File Sharing
  • There, on the left side click on your VLC icon
  • Scoll down enough inside that until you see the "Add" button on the bottom right
  • That point you are in standard mode of file window, to find your MKV file and upload it
  • That file will become a list item in what was the black sub window on the right side.
  • Note that you can also do this the easier way, which is to pull up a finder window beside Itunes and drag your MKV file into that same part of the window
  • When you have identified and pulled up all relevant files, click "Done" on the bottom right or "Sync"
  • Then sit down and ask yourself what was wrong why Apple couldnt just include a plain old standard USB media file upload function like every other damn unix-based smartphone on the market....or hell unlock the ability to upload and MKV in Itunes and sync play the damn MKVs in the Video app.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Then sit down and ask yourself what was wrong why Apple couldnt just include a plain old standard USB media file upload function like every other damn unix-based smartphone on the market....or hell unlock the ability to upload and MKV in Itunes and sync play the damn MKVs in the Video app.
Apple: our iTunes Store is the best! You can buy and watch immediately. High quality. Able to stream on our also gorgeous Apple TV. (Blah blah)
Alright. I am not talent on promoting products. But Apple just simply don't think people need to "download stuff elsewhere and load it inside". ITunes Store has everything people need and don't bother. Pure guess.

As long as third party app supports, this is not that painful at least.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
  • Then sit down and ask yourself what was wrong why Apple couldnt just include a plain old standard USB media file upload function like every other damn unix-based smartphone on the market....or hell unlock the ability to upload and MKV in Itunes and sync play the damn MKVs in the Video app.

Obviously the could, but it would break their current file system with their tight sandboxing. Just remember "every app is an island" lol...

https://developer.apple.com/library...de/FileSystemOverview/FileSystemOverview.html

Oddly enough I never even considered this do to space constraints. The smallest MKV I have is around 20gb which doesn't offer anything on an iOS device due to screen size and sound capability (i.e. not much sense of having a direct BD rip). I guess DVDs would be ok, but if you using MKVs a lossless conversion to an iTunes friendly file is pretty easy.

You seem to use MKVs a lot since you know your way around the them. Im curious for your reasoning? Convenience, quality, maybe something obvious I'm missing...?

Reactions: M. Gustave

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
You should be able to just play your file. "Conversion" is an outdated concept. Today's devices are well capable of doing it all, except for being deliberately crippled.

This is as true for music as it is for video. I still have FLAC and Oggs and WMA rips too that Apple thinks I should delete and buy from their shop, for some unknown reason. I guess it's not supposed to be my device - I should just pay for it.

Wayward

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
Obviously the could, but it would break their current file system with their tight sandboxing. Just remember "every app is an island" lol...

https://developer.apple.com/library...de/FileSystemOverview/FileSystemOverview.html

Oddly enough I never even considered this do to space constraints. The smallest MKV I have is around 20gb which doesn't offer anything on an iOS device due to screen size and sound capability (i.e. not much sense of having a direct BD rip). I guess DVDs would be ok, but if you using MKVs a lossless conversion to an iTunes friendly file is pretty easy.

You seem to use MKVs a lot since you know your way around the them. Im curious for your reasoning? Convenience, quality, maybe something obvious I'm missing...?

Not speaking for the OP, but a lot of movies/TV shows from Usenet/BitTorrent are in MKV, which can be as small as ~250mb for 1 hour.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Not speaking for the OP, but a lot of movies/TV shows from Usenet/BitTorrent are in MKV, which can be as small as ~250mb for 1 hour.

Probably the reason Apple doesn't go out of their way to directly (1st party) support that particular format. IF that's the case (if) then really people shouldn't mind converting themselves. "Apple just wants me to buy movies from iTunes" as they steal movies via torrents is a silly argument. But again I'm saying IF that were the case, I'm sure none of us do such things. :)

Personally in my experience I find when I'm dealing with MKVs I can be walking in a gray area of copyright laws. At least when it comes to media I would consider putting on an iOS device.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
You should be able to just play your file. "Conversion" is an outdated concept. Today's devices are well capable of doing it all, except for being deliberately crippled.

This is as true for music as it is for video. I still have FLAC and Oggs and WMA rips too that Apple thinks I should delete and buy from their shop, for some unknown reason. I guess it's not supposed to be my device - I should just pay for it.

There are still file formats that neither PC nor Mac can deal with natively. You need to use third party software. How is this different from how it's always been. Everywhere.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
There are still file formats that neither PC nor Mac can deal with natively. You need to use third party software. How is this different from how it's always been. Everywhere.
This fairly expensive hardware can do it. I want it done.

Am not interested in stories about the past. If I wanted the past then I'd still be using a Symbian phone and a 386 desktop. There is no point in drawing excuses for Apple not doing simple things to serve the customer properly.

Reactions: lugworm

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
There is no point in drawing excuses for Apple not doing simple things to serve the customer properly.

Since you love history: Windows still can't natively play DVD's because Microsoft doesn't want to pay licensing fees for mpeg-2.

As for MKV, I'm sure all you butt-torrent pirates out there will have no trouble converting your stolen movies to mp4.

Reactions: akash.nu

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
Meanwhile the guy asked a simple question about using his very expensive computer, which apparently instantly makes him a criminal and any one answering him an accessory.

"Oooohh file formats - scaarrrryyyy! ". "You want to rip your own files - must be a "pirate", because Corporate america told me so". "Please lock down my computer and hold my hand". "Call my mommy".

That's the users on tech forums today...

Reactions: lugworm

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
This fairly expensive hardware can do it. I want it done.

Am not interested in stories about the past. If I wanted the past then I'd still be using a Symbian phone and a 386 desktop. There is no point in drawing excuses for Apple not doing simple things to serve the customer properly.

You are correct. The hardware can do it.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
  • Install VLC app on phone
  • Go to Itunes
  • Connect your phone via usb cable or Itunes Wifi Sync
  • Click on the symbol for your phone at top left-ish area of Itunes
  • Within the left side you see left meny for your phone settings, click on "Apps"
  • You get a page with two parts "Apps" on top hallf,but below that Scroll down to the very bottom of the page that comes up, (be careful to scroll the entire page and not just scroll within the "Apps" section
  • That brings you to the second/bottom half of the page called: "File Sharing
  • There, on the left side click on your VLC icon
  • Scoll down enough inside that until you see the "Add" button on the bottom right
  • That point you are in standard mode of file window, to find your MKV file and upload it
  • That file will become a list item in what was the black sub window on the right side.
  • Note that you can also do this the easier way, which is to pull up a finder window beside Itunes and drag your MKV file into that same part of the window
  • When you have identified and pulled up all relevant files, click "Done" on the bottom right or "Sync"

Whatever makes you happy, dude, do you feel superior because you use Android and ignore Apple?

I got some mkv movie files on my iMac. I want to transfer them to my iPhone and watch them there. How do i transfer them and with what app would you recommend to watch?

1. Install Infuse 4

2. Use AirDrop to transfer

3. There's no wires or step 3.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
1. Install Infuse 4

2. Use AirDrop to transfer
I use Kodi. But your options are virtually limitless. The chsngelog showed that external lightning storage is now supported. I may consider buying something external since I will be traveling a few times a month this coming year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.