Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wifi Toggle Media

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2016
Chicago
We created this app because there is a need to have better control over the wifi radio in your iPhone. Leaving wifi on drains your battery. Leaving it off puts you at risk for using too much of your data plan. Wifi Toggle lets you easily input locations to reflect all of your known and trusted wifi hotspots. Wifi Toggle will remind you to turn on your wifi when you come into range of your trusted wifi locations, and remind you to turn your wifi off when you are out of range. This saves your phone's battery, minimizes the use of your carrier's data plan, and enhances the security by reducing the risk of potential hacking via your wifi connection. Wifi Toggle is easy, safe, smart and secure. Click here to buy Wifi Toggle. If you find it helpful, please give it a strong rating and review in the App Store. Thanks!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I can't say that leaving WiFi really uses up noticeable amount of battery compared to leaving it on all the time. Especially when compared against something that would use location based reminders and this would make use of GPS and location services which use up battery too, and usually in a somewhat more noticeable way.

Wifi Toggle Media

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2016
Chicago
I can't say that leaving WiFi really uses up noticeable amount of battery compared to leaving it on all the time. Especially when compared against something that would use location based reminders and this would make use of GPS and location services which use up battery too, and usually in a somewhat more noticeable way.
Right, Wifi Toggle won't be a good fit for everyone. But many (most?) people probably enable location services already because they want "Find My iPhone" to work. So for those people, GPS is already running. People who travel a lot and are away from easy access to charging want to hyper-mile their battery. This is a solution for that need. And to be fair, the wifi radio is a meaningful drag on battery life, your experience notwithstanding. Thanks for taking a look.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Right, Wifi Toggle won't be a good fit for everyone. But many (most?) people probably enable location services already because they want "Find My iPhone" to work. So for those people, GPS is already running. People who travel a lot and are away from easy access to charging want to hyper-mile their battery. This is a solution for that need. And to be fair, the wifi radio is a meaningful drag on battery life, your experience notwithstanding. Thanks for taking a look.
While people have some location services enabled for most of them those services aren't in use until they are called on or used by the user, which is different from something that is location based which essentially has to consistently be running to keep track of location.

To be fair, a few anecdotal experiences aside, I don't think there's anything that rally shows that there's a noticeable/meaningful effect on battery simply from having WiFi enabled.

Last edited:

Wifi Toggle Media

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2016
Chicago
The inverse is true as well: if you forget to turn your wifi on in a trusted hotspot and you use your 3G/4G connection instead, this uses more battery than accessing the internet over trusted wifi. This app helps on both fronts. Plus, by reminding you to turn wifi on at the proper time, you use less of your mobile data plan. As a parent of teenagers who use a lot of data, this has been a VERY helpful tool for staying within our monthly plan limit. I think some people will really find this to be useful.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Sorry but I don't see the value this app offers. It seems to simply send reminders to switch wifi on or off. I'm intelligent enough to figure this myself.

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.