Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
I am seeking opinion and advice on the barrel distortion in this photo resulting from using my wide angle lens (at 17 mm on a full frame sensor).

The buildings look like they are leaning backwards, as a result of the wide angle effect. And out of curiosity, how would I correct it in Photoshop?

Attachments

• stlouis.jpg
    stlouis.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 299

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I am seeking opinion and advice on the barrel distortion in this photo resulting from using my wide angle lens (at 17 mm on a full frame sensor).

The buildings look like they are leaning backwards, as a result of the wide angle effect. And out of curiosity, how would I correct it in Photoshop?

The barrel distortion isn't an issue (I believe you use the 17-40L, yes?); I have the same lens, and even on a 5D, it's not too bad (it's a really good lens!).

The perspective distortion can be repaired in PS. Here's a tutorial that explains it better than I could:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/correctinglensdistortion.htm

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

This is NOT "barrel distortion" and is not a defect. This will happen with ANY camera when you aim it upward. The effect is greater with a wide angle lens not because the lens is wide but because you are close to the subject and therefore must aim upward at a steep angle. The simple explanation is that the top of the building as farther away from the camera than the bottom so of course being farther away it looks smaller.

The traditional way to correct this is to use a large format camera and set the film plane vertical (camera aimed horizontal) and then shift the lens upward to shift the subject back onto the film. Small format cameras do not typically allow shifts (there are some special lenses mode just for architectural photography.) so you have two options (1) get way back and shoot from a much longer distance so the camera need not be aimed upward or "fix" the image in Photoshop. PS has a perspective control that is easy to use. But the advice from most architectural photographers is to correct out only "most" of this. If all of the vertical lines are exactly parallel then it looks un-natural, leave them a little bit convergent

jwt

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2007
As others have stated, this image is not barrel distorted--it is keystoned. PS will fix this no problem.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Actually, technically what you're referring to is not barrel distortion, nor keystone distortion. The distortion you're referring to is called the Scheimpflug condition. Even with a PERFECT lens, the only way to correct it in the camera is to have a lens that has independent movement in all axis from the focal plane (I'm betting that no one on this form has a Scheimpflug camera). Otherwise, you'll have to Photoshop it.

Scheimp3.gif

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
No, it's not barrels distortion, it's falling lines (which I think works well on this shot). Basically the plane of the building's wall is not parallel to the focus plane and thus the building seems to `fall backwards.' It's not a fault of the lens, but a result of the way you've composed the shot; the effect is increasingly pronounced for smaller viewing angles (i. e. for wide-angle lenses).

The only way to avoid is to get a tilt lens (expensive) or a camera which allows this (expensive). You can get rid of this effect in Photoshop to certain degrees, but I think it works rather nicely on your shot :)

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
'Fraid you've lost your bet! I still have my Father's Goertz 1/4 plate camera with rising and tilting front.

and i have a 4x5 toyo! ha, take that! :)

i think the "falling away" of the building fits the mood of this particular pic

but i do question the flowers being in color. it draws the attention to them which competes with the building which i consider the main character in this pic. just a thought

unclegit

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
e (I'm betting that no one on this form has a Scheimpflug camera). Otherwise, you'll have to Photoshop it.

You'd bet wrong then ;)

SV45Ti.jpg

Also it's not a "Scheimpflug camera" - just a view/field camera.

It's my preferred rig for landscape work ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.