Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
I cropped this image and set the resolution to be used as a wallpaper :) ( feel free to download it if you want ) I want you to be honest with me on this critique :)

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
First off, when it is opened in PhotoShop, the rez is anything other than wallpaper. Unless you are referring to real wallpaper, the stuff folks glue to their non-virtual living rooms.

Dale

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    124.9 KB · Views: 61

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
I don't see anything wrong here? 2560x1600 is the highest res that you can get on computer monitors ( I am talking 16:10 ratio The 30 inch cinema display is 2560x1600 in res and I wanted it to go that high for people with 30 inch cinema displays and the like lol :)

pit29

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
I don't see anything wrong here? 2560x1600 is the highest res that you can get on computer monitors ( I am talking 16:10 ratio The 30 inch cinema display is 2560x1600 in res and I wanted it to go that high for people with 30 inch cinema displays and the like lol :)

I guess Dale is referring to the resolution, not the size. Monitors display 72dpi, your pic has way more... If you resample it to 72dpi, you'll see that the dimensions will grow. If you shrink it then, the file will be much smaller.

The picture: I think the foreground (street) is too dark when compared to the brighter upper part of the picture.

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
I guess Dale is referring to the resolution, not the size. Monitors display 72dpi, your pic has way more...

DPI is irrelevant to size on a monitor. The image is 2560x1600, that is 'how big' it will be on a monitor. DPI is only really relevant for print quality (for the purposes of this image size anyway - if you have two monitors of the same panel size and one has a higher DPI, then it would have higher resolution).

Anyway - I like the image, kinda, but it does lack a subject, and is a bit busy. I wouldn't use it as a desktop image (too much going on), but think it would look better as a print.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
Yea, it definitely feels like a problem that your background is brighter than your foreground. My eye wants to look at what's in the foreground but is instead drawn to the brighter part of the image, which makes it a little confusing. I also would have framed out the powerlines, sign and streetlight on the upper right of the frame since you're cutting them off. The rest of your edges are really clean but that spot bothers me. The framing is pretty good but the image isn't working as a whole.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
The leading lines lead the eye into the top right, but there's nothing to lead the eye back to the left- so you immediately lose the viewer. The dark mass of trees don't help anything- in fact they separate the bright upper left from the bright upper-right where the street leads the eye in quite a bad fashion. The bright upper left corner tries to draw the eye, but doesn't have enough in the way of geometry or detail to hold it. The clutter in the bottom left and the chopped off sign and streetlight on the right don't help either.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Not a photography expert here (it is interesting and informative to read some of the other responses) but I'd say its a good but not outstanding shot. The glob of trees in the middle and the train tracks seem out of place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.