Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ken-macpro2019

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2024
Hi,
I really need help with this one please...
I have a Mac Pro 2019 and with 1TB SSD.
I need to replace my SSD but apparently it is not just a buy and replace kind of procedure..
I know that apple does not do it any more as my apple care has been expired..

Is it possible to just buy 2 ssds and format them with apple configurator and bring my Mac Pro 2019 back to life? Or is it possible for me to do it like DIY kind of procedure?

I am lost and I would really appreciate it if anyone could please direct me or help me to find the answer...

I have been searching the internet with no success so far...

So, if possible I would really appreciate it..

Thank YOU
Ken

ken-macpro2019

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2024
Thank you...I have read this article... the problem is that it does not say if I buy a set of SSDs and use them or I have to buy the kit from apple... and the KIT from apple is not provided anymore... and the ones on ebay are crazy expensive with no guarantee.
So the question is, can I just buy a set of SSDs and reconfigure them for my Mac Pro 2019?

Thank you

Last edited:

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Thank you...I have read this article... the problem is that it does not say if I buy a set of SSDs and use them or I have to buy the kit from apple... and the KIT from apple is not provided anymore... and the ones on ebay are crazy expensive with no guarantee.
So the question is, can I just buy a set of SSDs and reconfigure them for my Mac Pro 2019?

Thank you
They're not standard NVME, so you have to buy from Apple.

priorytools

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2015
Or.
Get an nvme pcie card.
I got Sonnetts when I bought our 2 x 2019 rack mac pro’s.
The systems have run on them beautifully.

danano

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2017
I second this, I have 4 8TB nvme drives on a nvme pcie card and its super smooth. you can just set one to be your boot drive
But PCIe-mounted SSDs are seen as external. If your user space is in an "external" location, lots of standard mcOS stuff will not work. In particular, nothing which requires iCloud. Right?

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
But PCIe-mounted SSDs are seen as external. If your user space is in an "external" location, lots of standard mcOS stuff will not work. In particular, nothing which requires iCloud. Right?
Before you even get that far my understanding is this;
You cannot just use any NVME drive for MacOS, there are compatibility issues.
Some people may have them running but there are known problems, (Mac Pro 2019 NVME Raid drives failing to mount and Mac Pro 2019 NVME Raid drives failing to mount).
Even then I believe that you must have an Apple SSD installed even if it's not the boot drive, (I bought an Apple 256GB just in case the ever happens).
Apple don't sell them normally but they will, at least in the UK repair them if you take the computer in.

Fastsavage

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.