Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krovem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Indiana
Hey everyone,

I need photos of cars, and more but they have to be public domain. Totally free and for any purpose.

or anyone know a website I can make a deal with.

Thanks!

Krovem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Indiana
which is why the people who take and have good photos want to be paid for their hard work.....

Yes I know that... Which is why I am asking if anyone knows a site where I can get bunch of good pictures for lower cost.

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
save yourself the trouble... just buy microstock OR use the cheesy Art Exlosion DVDs

Hey everyone,

I need photos of cars, and more but they have to be public domain. Totally free and for any purpose.

or anyone know a website I can make a deal with.

Thanks!

Krov, I know it is hard to argue with free... but sometimes you spend way more time trying to find something decent/usable. Microstock sites have gotten a lot more expensive than a few years ago when one could purchase images for 1-2-3 bucks each. iStock has jumped up from 3 bucks to over 13.00 for a large image. However, there are a lot of other agencies that are a lot cheaper, and many shooters crosspost their images... so it is possible to pay $4 on one site, and $13 on another for the same pic (so shop around). Check out Dreamstime, & Fotolia, which are a lot cheaper than iStock. http://www.microstockdiaries.com is a good blog to discover other micro agencies. If you are making comps you can download ridiculously small and watermarked low-res versions for free.

Another idea would be to look into the Art Explosion 800,000 Clip Art DVDs (or something similar). They are about $60, and have a large 15k image section. Cons are the DVDs are dog slow, the is no search function, and you will spend a LOT of time trying to find the image you want. Also, many of the scans were done very poorly. Still not "free" though...

Now (finally), there is also a place called http://www.sxc.hu that offers free photos.

Not sure what you are using the pics for, but hopefully this will help....

Krovem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Indiana
If I buy a quick sound from a website, then use it for my iphone app. Am I allowed to do that? or I can get in trouble because of copy rights.

zachsilvey

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Battle Ground
If you go to Flickr and use the advanced search you can check a box that makes Flickr just search creative commons licensed images. There is also a secondary box you can check that will only search images that can be used commercially.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.