Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPanda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Hi there it is time to upgrade my Canon point and shot ixus, after many many years this great digital camera stopped working, I was wondering if anyone could be so kind as to recommend me a great Canon point and shoot, colour accuracy and record times are ery important to me. I love Canon. Please no other makes, I only really do Canon! I'd love to move in slrs so I can add lenses, what is a good entry level slr? thank you for your help ....

peace - macpanda.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What is a good entry level slr?

If you are sure you like Canon then you've already made the choice. When shopping for an SLR the first thing to do is select a brand. Normally when you choose a brand you look at the lenses and other parts of the SLR system and select a brand based on which has the best line of lenses and upgrade/replacemnt bodies because you will be buying from thios lineup for many years. Switching SLR brands is expensive.

Canon's current entry level SLR is the XS. It comes with an 18-55 lens in a package for about $500. You can spend more if you like but the entry SLR is such a hugh upgrade from a point and shoot

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
Well, now, I wouldn't limit myself to EOS cameras. I prefer Canons for point-and-shoots, but after handing different bodies, I found myself preferring Nikons for SLRs. And apparently this kind of preference split isn't uncommon. I mean, I used to have the same "shun everything, I only want Canons" kind of mindset. But that's so limiting, and whereas for a point-and-shoot it doesn't really matter, for SLRs, if you find yourself disillusioned with Canon or something later on, that's not going to be fun.

That said, entry-level SLRs are the Rebel XS, Nikon D40/D60, Olympus E420, Pentax K-m, and Sony a200. I do suggest you try all of them out and actually look at the strengths and weaknesses of each instead of confining yourself to Canons only.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Hi there it is time to upgrade my Canon point and shot ixus, after many many years this great digital camera stopped working, I was wondering if anyone could be so kind as to recommend me a great Canon point and shoot, colour accuracy and record times are ery important to me. I love Canon. Please no other makes, I only really do Canon! I'd love to move in slrs so I can add lenses, what is a good entry level slr? thank you for your help ....

peace - macpanda.

OP wants a P&S, not an SLR...

Canon G10, I would imagine then.

(I personally, at that point, would rather recommend a close-out or refurbished dSLR...)

Or Canon's bridge camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sx10is.asp

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
If you want to get a good P&S go with the Canon G9 or G10 (The G9 has a bit more telephoto and the G10 has a bit more wide angle, so you'd have to look at your pictures to see which would be more fitting for you. Although you can get adapters to widen or lengthen the focal length.)

If you want to get a good dSLR then take a look at either the XS or the XSi. The kit lens that comes with them is now decent quality so it shouldn't be a worry and it will be a big upgrade from a P&S.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Well, now, I wouldn't limit myself to EOS cameras. I prefer Canons for point-and-shoots, but after handing different bodies, I found myself preferring Nikons for SLRs. And apparently this kind of preference split isn't uncommon. I mean, I used to have the same "shun everything, I only want Canons" kind of mindset. But that's so limiting, and whereas for a point-and-shoot it doesn't really matter, for SLRs, if you find yourself disillusioned with Canon or something later on, that's not going to be fun.

That said, entry-level SLRs are the Rebel XS, Nikon D40/D60, Olympus E420, Pentax K-m, and Sony a200. I do suggest you try all of them out and actually look at the strengths and weaknesses of each instead of confining yourself to Canons only.
You may want to add the XSi, and even the T1 to the list of Canon entry-level cameras. The XT is not longer produced.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
OP wants a P&S, not an SLR...

Kind of...

I'd look at the XS's predecessor, the XTi. You can get them quite cheaply these days.

rugby49

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2009
Prosumer Camera

A couple of months ago I bought the G10 from Dell to supplement the 20D I have. Very nice camera. You can use it as strictly a point and shoot (camera sets all settings). Or you can do your own adjustments including shooting Raw. I used it partly at my sons HS Lacrosse game the other night. The pictures are good up to ISO 800. Over that I would not count on it.
Jim Kelly

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Well before we jump all over the Canon camera range....

What is the absolute maximum price the OP is willing to pay?

Everything is irrelevant until we know price range we are playing with.

MacPanda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Hi - thank you folks for all your time in going into your posts. I am looking for something with a price tag of up to £250. Please forgive my newbieness to this, but what is the difference between this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digit...7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239925281&sr=8-7

and something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Power...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239925281&sr=8-6

Mind you I have been using a Canon IXUS 400 since it came out, it was my first digital camera and am impressed, so anything new from Canon should be better? The IXUS 400 was 4mp but it did the job. I am scared of getting a camera that deals with colours badly. I sometimes get blurred photos as I have a bit of shaky hands ...

peace - 'baby.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Mind you I have been using a Canon IXUS 400 since it came out, it was my first digital camera and am impressed, so anything new from Canon should be better? The IXUS 400 was 4mp but it did the job. I am scared of getting a camera that deals with colours badly. I sometimes get blurred photos as I have a bit of shaky hands ...

Whether non-DSLR cameras have improved this side of 6MP (that is, 2006 or earlier) is questionable.

But image stabilization should be good for you.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Hi - thank you folks for all your time in going into your posts. I am looking for something with a price tag of up to £250. Please forgive my newbieness to this, but what is the difference between this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digit...7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239925281&sr=8-7

and something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Power...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239925281&sr=8-6

peace - 'baby.

I'd really suggest reading reviews of cameras that you're interested in on a place like dpreview.com. You'll learn a lot about the differences between cameras there and from the reviews you will come across criticisms of cameras that you hadn't yet considered, which will all lead you towards making a more informed choice.

The big differences between the cameras you linked to are:

The G10 is physically bigger and heavier.
The G10 has a larger sensor, which more or less translates to higher image quality
The G10 has more manual controls, which is better for a photographer who wants more manual control.
The G10 has a wider zoom range, starting from wider angle and zooming to more telephoto than the other camera.
The G10 has a larger LCD screen, allows you to save files in RAW format, and lots of other little advantages.

The other one is smaller (which is nice if that's what you want) and cheaper.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008

peace - macpanda.

Canon G10 if you want a P&S

Canon T1+18-55 for a DSLR

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.