Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoGoSamGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
I've finally got down the camera I want, thanks to the helpful people on this board. Now I really have one final question before purchasing everything. Should I go with Photoshop Elements or cs3? Elements I can only get at the normal $90 price, while cs3 I could get for $300 with the educational discount on Apple. At first I thought I'm just going to go with cs3 thinking the more expensive probably means the better one, but what I really didn't think of is what does cs3 have that photoshop doesn't? I'm into film, and so I decided to learn about photography so I can use actual photos in my films rather than still frames of video (which at times looks pretty bad). So due to using it in film sometimes there are just going to be normal pictures, other times I might decide to make them more artistic for an intro or anything I need to use in film. I thought I just throw that in so that you could get a picture of what type of software would suit me the best. So if any one could help me on this last piece of the puzzle, I'd greatly appreciate it so I can finally make my purchase which I can't wait to do :D Thanks a lot guys!

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Photoshop Elements usually does all that most people need, but you must be aware that Elements is a cut down version and there are bits and pieces missing that are only in the full version of Photoshop. :mad:

My advice would be, if your finances allow the full Photoshop, then that's the way to go. :)

GoGoSamGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Thanks a lot for the advice.

If any one else has any advice to throw my way I'd love to hear it. Thanks

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
I've always used the full versions of Photoshop, but i have a friend who has elements and he does some really amazing stuff.

unless you have $300 sitting around waiting to be spent elements should work for you

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
The photographer makes the picture. The camera and software are only tools. The camera is the most important tool. Even more the lens on the camera is the most important tool. So get great glass, a good body, and awesome visualization skills. Then after all that get nice software. Until then get adequate software if you must. Don't spend money of software that should be spent on class, glass or camera body.

GoGoSamGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
The photographer makes the picture. The camera and software are only tools. The camera is the most important tool. Even more the lens on the camera is the most important tool. So get great glass, a good body, and awesome visualization skills. Then after all that get nice software. Until then get adequate software if you must. Don't spend money of software that should be spent on class, glass or camera body.

I understand that the photographer needs to be skilled. I'm in film, and I understand the importance of a good camera person. Just like in film though how well the video is shot isn't everything. There needs to be post production, so the editor can combine the good shots with good editing. I'm not planning on using the photos for a private collection, I want to combine my film skills and extend that to photography. Since I'm going to be using the photos in my film, I will many times need different use for them than just the plain picture, as in I will need some to look more artistic than others. In order to do this I need some sort of photo editing software, one that will help me with distorting photos in the way I need for my films. For right now the camera I am planning on getting has just the normal lens that comes with it, and for begining with photo that is all I need. I do understand with a better lens you can take better quality photos but for now even the photos that come from its standard lens, I'm sure will be lightyears better than what I'm using currently which taking still frames from video which looks horrible. In time if I feel I need to upgrade to a better lens then I will do that, but for now I'm just 18 years old, and in no way a film professional, so I don't have a need for a higher quality lens, the one that comes with the camera will be just perfect to learn on. I decided on the cs3 even though I am just starting in all this and even though elements more than $200 cheaper, but from asking around today (not only on here) I found that cs3 would be more of what I needed to do the type of work I want. Thanks for your help everyone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.