Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmouritz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
Inspired by https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/please-review-your-2017-imac.2051475/, I thought it would be nice to hear peoples thoughts about their new iPhone X as well as the accessory they use, i.e. cover, screen protecter, skin etc.

So I will begin this thread!

I got the iPhone X on launch day but did not begin to use until yesterday as I needed to get a cover an screen protecter.
I have the iPhone X 64 GB in Space Gray and I think it is amazing, the screen is awesome, the build quality is great and it is blazingly fast (I came from a 5s). I have to get used to the bigger size but I really enjoy it, the notch does not annoy me at all and I think everything is reachable.

I have a ultra slim case on, the Puro 0.3 Nude (transparent) and a Zagg Contour Glass+ full size without cutouts for cameras. I put it on my self and somehow a few dust particles came underneath but you cannot really see them unless you look closely. It fits perfectly and you cannot tell that it has a screen protecter on. The case is great, I chose a plasma one as I like it to be way softer than the material the iPhone is made off to avoid damages. It is so thin, only 0.3 mm, so the phone does not feel bulky.

All in all, worth every penny! I am happy I made the switch, and I think I am going to continue to be happy for it.

I will edit this post and throw on some pictures later, so let us hear it guys! How do you feel about your new iPhone X? And do you use it nude or protected?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I bought a cheap transparent flexible plastic back case for my iPhone X (Silver 256) and take it off to go naked whenever I can (so I can appreciate the beauty). When I go out or travelling I stick the case on - important for me is that it goes on and off with ease and allows me to clean out dust/dirt that gets in. Case cost £6 ($7) and follows hot off heels of a similar one I got for my iPhone 6 Plus.

My wife has the same case with a screen protector for her iPhone 8 Plus (she is less careful than me and it goes in a handbag with keys, etc)

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
I bought an Apple silicone case, it is by far the most expensive case I have ever bought.
Partly it was because I didn’t want to spend the time and effort to find a good case because 90% of the third party cases look cheap and lame, you really have to dig through many websites and retailers to find one that has a good design.

I think this case is the perfect balance between protection and looks. It completely protects the phone from drops onto flat surfaces, the phone will never make contact. The same cannot be said of the slim cases, they mostly protect you from scratches only. Also slim cases don’t make the camera hump flat.

The open bottom serves some very real purposes, one of which is for you to tell which side is up, since the phone is now just a complete smooth black slab.

I would like the leather one, since it is just a bit more expensive, you’re already getting such an expensive case anyway. But I didn’t because the leather would be vunerable to liquids, it kind of compromises the water resistance of the phone because now your expensive case isn’t water resistance.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacGurl111

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011
Inspired by https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/please-review-your-2017-imac.2051475/, I thought it would be nice to hear peoples thoughts about their new iPhone X as well as the accessory they use, i.e. cover, screen protecter, skin etc.

So I will begin this thread!

I got the iPhone X on launch day but did not begin to use until yesterday as I needed to get a cover an screen protecter.
I have the iPhone X 64 GB in Space Gray and I think it is amazing, the screen is awesome, the build quality is great and it is blazingly fast (I came from a 5s). I have to get used to the bigger size but I really enjoy it, the notch does not annoy me at all and I think everything is reachable.

I have a ultra slim case on, the Puro 0.3 Nude (transparent) and a Zagg Contour Glass+ full size without cutouts for cameras. I put it on my self and somehow a few dust particles came underneath but you cannot really see them unless you look closely. It fits perfectly and you cannot tell that it has a screen protecter on. The case is great, I chose a plasma one as I like it to be way softer than the material the iPhone is made off to avoid damages. It is so thin, only 0.3 mm, so the phone does not feel bulky.

All in all, worth every penny! I am happy I made the switch, and I think I am going to continue to be happy for it.

I will edit this post and throw on some pictures later, so let us hear it guys! How do you feel about your new iPhone X? And do you use it nude or protected?

Where did you buy your Zagg Contour Glass+ full size without cutouts? I don't even see this on their website?

pmouritz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
Where did you buy your Zagg Contour Glass+ full size without cutouts? I don't even see this on their website?

No I found that odd as well when I tried to find some information about it. Unfortunately for you, I bought in a Danish (or actually Scandinavia) Electronics store called Elgiganten. Al though, not on their website I can asure you that it exitst hehe, https://www.elgiganten.dk/product/m...skyttelse-sort#tab-store-availability-trigger

I only have one slightly negative comment about it but I think it will apply to most screen protectors without cutouts. As the ambient light sensor is long and sits at the top if the phone near the edge. The adhesive is not perfect, meaning that a tiny bit of dust will build up. However, it does not seem to have an effect on the functionality and can easily be removed by suction or blowing of air towards the edge of the glass.

xsimplyjosh

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
IPhone x 256gb silver with tech21 pure clear case for iPhone x. I like it. Slim and does the job well. was gonna go for the evo check but it seemed bulky to my liking.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
IPhone X silver 64GB. I bought applecare+ but I’m still hesitant to go full naked right now. Maybe eventually as I settle down with the phone.

Bought a ton of clear cases to try out - wanted to have some protection but not hide the look of the phone. Ended up returning most but keeping the ringke fusion. It was the best of the bunch but still hid the phone a bit too much. Face on, the edges of the phone were difficult to see clearly due to the thick TPU edge.

Then I tried a caudabe lucid clear. Much clearer and shows the phone off nicely. But slippery in the hand, and *no front lip* - even though the box said it does. So I was stuck. I'm pretty happy to use a phone with no screen protector as long as the case has a good lip. But the caudabe was nice looking.

So I bought an orzly screen protector. It’s pretty good. Dust gets into the top, and I don’t like the 'spider eyes' circles around the notch area for the sensors. And it has rough/sharp edges. But when combined with the caudabe case it’s a decent combination. I'm now looking at the icarez which seems recommended but they aren’t for sale in the UK yet.

I do have an Apple saddle brown leather case which is nice and I’ll switch to that sometimes, and a spigen thin fit red metallic which will get occasional use but that’s very slippery too.

For charging, I upgraded our old Anker multi port USB charger to a RAVPower one so now I have all 2.4A ports. I also have a lightning dock which I’ve connected to my iPad charger - all of these get used by the family, not just me. I bought a Nokia DT-601 wireless charger. Had one with my old lumia 930 and it came with the AC adapter for £10 from amazon so it seemed a good choice - so many of the other chargers need an additional plug. Still not set it up except to test it because the battery is so good I don’t need to top up during the day. And at night I use the Sleep Cycle app which needs the phone to be face down which won’t work with the charger. It’ll probably end up on my bedside table or my desk at work.

Overlay really enjoying the phone. FaceID is transparent to me - I just swipe to unlock and the phone figures it out. Tap to wake is great (had it on my old Nokia/lumia phones so good to see it on Iphone). My only minor niggle is payment. I do think FaceID is less convenient for contactless payment in stores or on the underground. You have to prep it like you can with touchID, but with touchID I generally just reach across to the terminal with my thumb on touchID and it dings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.