Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Any got a recommendation for a PNS.

I've been looking at the Canon G9 -- 1/1.7" CCD w/12MP. I've used Canon ELPHs, and they're noisy to being with. That many MP seems to be inviting more noise.

I'm looking for the best, crispest, color-balanced shot up to 400 ISO. I'd like it to at least fit in a jacket pocket and have, preferably, a 4-6X zoom and possibly 28mm on the low end. But I want to a clean picture, so that probably means starting with a good sized imager with a lower MP rating. I was thinking of the G9 for RAW, but I may be willing to stick w/JPEG if there's something out there.

Anyone have any recommendations on current shipping or even past models?

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
I'm a photographer and I use Fuji and Nikon dSLR cameras but when I'm just out having fun with friends or family I take my Leica D-Lux 3.

I really like the Leica D-Lux because it has a lot of the controls that my dSLR has and shoots RAW too! I think it has a 6x zoom on it also. Another nice feature is that it can change it's crop: 16x9, 4x3, and 3x2.

Only down side is the price but it is a REALLY nice camera and I really like the features because of my SLR cameras.

Here's a review: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06091408leicadlux3.asp

~Crawn

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
......I take my Leica D-Lux 3.....
Only down side is the price but it is a REALLY nice camera

Panasonic makes a nearly identical camera. It's really the same camera, the only difference is some default settings. Amazon.com has the Panasonic version of theD-Lux3 discounted down to mid $300 range

You did not specify a budget. If price is not impotent then go with Leica. If price is REALLY not important go with a Leica M8. The M8 is the best fit to your requirements for a "good size sensor and clean picture". The sensor is larger than what you find in most DSLRs. The lens is better then what you find on most DSLRs too. But it is also more expensive then a typical DSLR.http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/leica-m8.shtml

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
Panasonic makes a nearly identical camera. It's really the same camera, the only difference is some default settings.

That's not entirely true. They are the same camera but the Panasonic exterior is made out of plastic. Probably durable but I didn't like the feel of it when I tried it out. The Leica is actually made out of metal and has that solid feel to it that I like, not the cheap, plastic feeling like the Panasonic.

~Crawn

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
That's not entirely true. They are the same camera but the Panasonic exterior is made out of plastic. Probably durable but I didn't like the feel of it when I tried it out. The Leica is actually made out of metal and has that solid feel to it that I like, not the cheap, plastic feeling like the Panasonic.

~Crawn

I also read that the Leica has photoshop bundled with it (?). So, that might be an option, and helps make up the price diff, if you need PS.

To qtpie36963, I guess I should have said that I've had two Canon ELPHS: SD300 and 800IS. Nice cameras, but I want to step up.

Thanks for the pointer to the Leica M8. I checked the review, but saw this one also http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/G9-Japan.shtml which points me back to the G9 over the M8.

Hmmm....Maybe I should just go with the G9.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I also read that the Leica has photoshop bundled with it (?). So, that might be an option, and helps make up the price diff, if you need PS.

To qtpie36963, I guess I should have said that I've had two Canon ELPHS: SD300 and 800IS. Nice cameras, but I want to step up.

Thanks for the pointer to the Leica M8. I checked the review, but saw this one also http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/G9-Japan.shtml which points me back to the G9 over the M8.

Hmmm....Maybe I should just go with the G9.

I wasn't serious about the M8. It is certainly NOT a Point and Shoot. The Leica M user has to be able to think like "...The subject is about 1.5 EV dark so I'll move from 1/30 to 1/90.." Well that is not quite true. The M is made for the person who does this without thinking. It's not a mass market camera. It's a rather specialized professional tool.

One of the thinks I really hate about P&S cameras is shutter lag. If the camera lags, even a little then all you can shot or posed shots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.