Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
hi guys,

thanks you for your reply and helps on the former video card questions, i'm just want to know further about the nvidia cards, so i'm using a quadro 4000 on my mac pro 5.1, without boot screen, so my quesitons are below, any help will be very appreciated.

1, can i flash a quadro 4000 for mac version?
2, what's the difference between 4000 K4000 P4000 M4000? i mean excepte les vram size.
3, will they four type all work on mac pro by defaut? even without boot screen?
4, in these four types, which type can i find a mac version rom to flash?

thank you so much for your help.

DearthnVader

Suspended
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
hi guys,

thanks you for your reply and helps on the former video card questions, i'm just want to know further about the nvidia cards, so i'm using a quadro 4000 on my mac pro 5.1, without boot screen, so my quesitons are below, any help will be very appreciated.

2, what's the difference between 4000 K4000 P4000 M4000? i mean excepte les vram size.

thank you so much for your help.

@netkas and @MacVidCards are really the only ones outside of nVidia that can flash nVidia cards other than older GTX680's and such. I think they had trouble with the port routings on the Quadro cards.

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
@netkas and @MacVidCards are really the only ones outside of nVidia that can flash nVidia cards other than older GTX680's and such. I think they had trouble with the port routings on the Quadro cards.

thank you for you reply, i still want to know why there are so many difference between pny nvidia k4000 ans radeon r9 280x? although they has the same size of vram, and k4000 was for cad, and 280x for game? the question is about to understand their difference and to choose the right video card and saving money, thank you guys again for your help.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
hi guys,

No, the only flashable by yourself Nvidia card are the GTX680 2GB or 4GB. The only public and free Mac firmware came from eVGA GTX680 for Mac. You can flash almost any GTX680 reference model with the eVGA GTX680 for Mac firmware.

Quadro 4000 = Fermi GPU (GTX480 more or less equivalent)
Quadro K4000 = Kepler GPU (GTX680 more or less equivalent)
Quadro M4000 = Maxwell GPU (GTX980 more or less equivalent)
Quadro P4000 = Pascal GPU (GTX1080 more or less equivalent)

If I'm not mistaken, Quadro 4000 is the only one that has For Mac model, but it's a old, power guzzling card that don't works with Mojave.

K4000 works with native drivers. M4000/P4000 need Nvidia web drivers to work.

No one.
[doublepost=1530226007][/doublepost]
thank you for you reply, i still want to know why there are so many difference between pny nvidia k4000 ans radeon r9 280x? although they has the same size of vram, and k4000 was for cad, and 280x for game? the question is about to understand their difference and to choose the right video card and saving money, thank you guys again for your help.

Quadro cards are made for the professional market, some have ECC RAM, some have more outputs, some have more color precision and are tailored for use on Workstations.

Game cards are tailored for PCs/games.

Flashable by yourself cards:

Nvidia: GXT680
AMD: 77xx/78xx/79xx/R9-280/R9-280x, but some requires adjusts.

Last edited:
Reactions: f329

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
No, the only flashable by yourself Nvidia card are the GTX680 2GB or 4GB. The only public and free Mac firmware came from eVGA GTX680 for Mac. You can flash almost any GTX680 reference model with the eVGA GTX680 for Mac firmware.

yes now i understand why 680 is more expensive than other same level card on ebay

this is useful for me thanks

If I'm not mistaken, Quadro 4000 is the only one that has For Mac model, but it's a old, power guzzling card that don't works with Mojave.
yeah i saw that too, the quadro 4000 'for mac', can i flash its rom for my pc 4000?

i have my k4000 works on mac pro but without boot screen, is it your mean 'native driver'? so i have to install first webdrivers for p4000 and m4000, right?

No one.

Flashsable by yourself cards:

so we can flash a 280x and 280x vapor, right? do we have a compatible rom on macrumors please?

do you mean we can have both 2Go rom and 4Go rom for mac ?

anyway, thank so much for your help!

No one.

Quadro cards are made for the professional market, some have ECC RAM, some have more outputs, some have more color precision and are tailored for use on Workstations.

Game cards are tailored for PCs/games.

Flashsable by yourself cards:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
yeah i saw that too, the quadro 4000 'for mac', can i flash its rom for my pc 4000?

If I'm not mistaken, the SPI flash on For Mac models on Quadro 4000 are 2x the size of PC versions. Maybe I'm wrong, it's a old card, you have to search to confirm this.

i have my k4000 works on mac pro but without boot screen, is it your mean 'native driver'? so i have to install first webdrivers for p4000 and m4000, right?

Native driver it's the default driver that macOS have to Kepler Nvidia cards. eVGA GTX680 for Mac and GTX680 flashed cards have native driver support and boot screens - just install on your Mac Pro and it works.

M4000/P4000 needs the Nvidia web driver installed to work and don't have boot screens. You can install the webdriver before installing the card on your Mac.

do you mean we can have both 2Go rom and 4Go rom for Mac ?

Yes, you have one for Mac ROM to flash the 2GB GTX680 models and another (here on MacRumors / modified from 2GB version to support 4GB) that works on the 4GB ones.

If you gonna buy one, search for the confirmed working ones.

so we can flash a 280x and 280x vapor, right? do we have a compatible rom on macrumors please?

I think so. It's better that you read the threads here and on netkas and try to understand the process. Almost all AMD GCN1.0 cards can be flashed but some can miss outputs when flashed. You will have better chance if you add the EFI blob to your card firmware.

Last edited:

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
If I'm not mistaken, the SPI flash on For Mac models on Quadro 4000 are 2x the size of PC versions. Maybe I'm wrong, it's a old card, you have to search to confirm this.

Native driver it's the default driver that macOS have to Kepler Nvidia cards. eVGA GTX680 for Mac and GTX680 flashed cards have native driver support and boot screens - just install on your Mac Pro and it works.

M4000/P4000 needs the Nvidia web driver installed to work and don't have boot screens.

Yes, you have one for Mac ROM to flash the 2GB GTX680 models and another (here on MacRumors / modified from 2GB version to support 4GB) that works on the 4GB ones.

I think so. It's better that you read the threads here and on netkas and try to understand the process. Almost all AMD GCN1.0 cards can be flashed but some can miss outputs when flashed. You will have better chance if you add the EFI blob to your card firmware.

appreciate, your words is worth more than two days searching, i realy start to understand the constracture of a rom, and a modified efi may be necessairy for mac flashing, thank you so much, and i hope these cand help someone new like me, cause too many threads and topics, not easy to find what we need in short time, this is general problem for all hot forums with history.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
appreciate, your words is worth more than two days searching, i realy start to understand the constracture of a rom, and a modified efi may be necessairy for mac flashing, thank you so much, and i hope these cand help someone new like me, cause too many threads and topics, not easy to find what we need in short time, this is general problem for all hot forums with history.

Read this topic on the confirmed flashable GTX680 cards, the eVGA for Mac ROM is there, 2GB and 4GB versions. It's the easiest of all cards to flash. You don't have to add blobs, you don't miss outputs, you don't have trouble with fans.

It's so easy to convert a PC to Mac one that the resell price never drops, but with some patience you can find one with a good price. I don't know about France prices, but here on Brazil where everything costs double I found recently two used eVGA GTX680 (one normal model another Signature with backplate) for less than $145 each with shipping. You will find for much less.

Another important thing: on idle/low usage and with just one monitor, GTX680 and AMD GCN1.0 cards consumes more or less the same, around 15W. Add one more monitor, AMD GCN1.0 cards jumps to 55W and GTX680 stays the same, a little bit more.

Last edited:

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
thank you for your help and your guide, but yet i've found 4000 and k4000 pc version flashed to sell, and the sellers said they are 100% compatible with mac with boot screen on all output ports, so as many gtx 7xx 9xx normal or titan on sell with mac rom with all ports has boot screen, for exemple gtx770 gtx 780 gtx 980 etc, so if they can do the flash, there should be somewhere we can find the rom, or can we do the rom ourself with some guide? what i we want to flash the same card? thank you so much.
[doublepost=1530393269][/doublepost]
Read this topic on the confirmed flashable GTX680 cards, the eVGA for Mac ROM is there, 2GB and 4GB versions. It's the easiest of all cards to flash. You don't have to add blobs, you don't miss outputs, you don't have trouble with fans.

It's so easy to convert a PC to Mac one that the resell price never drops, but with some patience you can find one with a good price. I don't know about France prices, but here on Brazil where everything costs double I found recently two used eVGA GTX680 (one normal model another Signature with backplate) for less than $145 each with shipping. You will find for much less.

Another important thing: on idle/low usage and with just one monitor, GTX680 and AMD GCN1.0 cards consumes more or less the same, around 15W. Add one more monitor, AMD GCN1.0 cards jumps to 55W and GTX680 stays the same, a little bit more.

thank you for your help and your guide, but yet i've found 4000 and k4000 pc version flashed to sell, and the sellers said they are 100% compatible with mac with boot screen on all output ports, so as many gtx 7xx 9xx normal or titan on sell with mac rom with all ports has boot screen, for exemple gtx770 gtx 780 gtx 980 etc, so if they can do the flash, there should be somewhere we can find the rom, or can we do the rom ourself with some guide? what i we want to flash the same card? thank you so much.

Reactions: WoodyNumberOne

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Nvidia ROM:

No, we can’t do the ROM edit ourselves like on AMD cards. Btw, most of Nvidia PC cards have half of SPI flash space than needed for a Mac EFI firmware.

We can do AMD cards because GCN personalities are the same as used by Apple on Macs and the SPI flash has the right size.

So, basically we extract the EFI personalities from a Mac firmware and insert on the PC Card.

Apple stopped using Nvidia cards since GT7xx on iMacs/MacBook Pros on 2013. To complicate the matter, Nvidia cards have a different form of selecting port mapping than AMD, so you couldn’t just extract the EFI part of MacBook Pro and flash on a PC GT750. Even on MXM cards, you can’t just use the Apple firmware. Someone has to make both compatible.

Driver support:

With a PC Quadro, you will need the Nvidia Webdrivers for Maxwell and Pascal versions to work. Quadro 4000 and Quadro K4000 are supported out of the box.

Boot screen:

A PC Quadro do not have Mac compatible EFI firmware. So no boot screens.

You have to buy a pre-flashed MVC card (or with a seller that pirate MVC EFI) to have boot screens. MVC and who else pirates MVC work, has to change the SPI flash for one with the double size. One known exception is GTX680, this card have the correct SPI flash size from factory.

Last edited:

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
Nvidia ROM:

No, we can’t do the ROM edit ourselves like on AMD cards. Btw, most of Nvidia PC cards have half of SPI flash space than needed for a Mac EFI firmware.

We can do AMD cards because GCN personalities are the same as used by Apple on Macs and the SPI flash has the right size.

So, basically we extract the EFI personalities from a Mac firmware and insert on the PC Card.

Apple stopped using Nvidia cards since GT7xx on iMacs/MacBook Pros on 2013. To complicate the matter, Nvidia cards have a different form of selecting port mapping than AMD, so you couldn’t just extract the EFI part of MacBook Pro and flash on a PC GT750. Even on MXM cards, you can’t just use the Apple firmware. Someone has to make both compatible.

Driver support:

With a PC Quadro, you will need the Nvidia Webdrivers for Maxwell and Pascal versions to work. Quadro 4000 and Quadro K4000 are supported out of the box.

Boot screen:

A PC Quadro do not have Mac compatible EFI firmware. So no boot screens.

You have to buy a pre-flashed MVC card (or with a seller that pirate MVC EFI) to have boot screens. MVC and who else pirates MVC work, has to change the SPI flash for one with the double size. One known exception is GTX680, this card have the correct SPI flash size from factory.

so you mean that all sellers of this card on ebay, they have always the same mvc efi for their cards? it's kind of bizzar, i mean it cant be hundreds of them who bought the same card from mvc and use them to flash their own cards, and i will cant believe that there is only one genius on this world to do the thing.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
so you mean that all sellers of this card on ebay, they have always the same mvc efi for their cards? it's kind of bizzar, i mean it cant be hundreds of them who bought the same card from mvc and use them to flash their own cards, and i will cant believe that there is only one genius on this world to do the thing.

You did not yet acknowledge one important fact: Nvidia PC Cards usually have half the SPI flash needed. Some have 64KB and need a 128KB, some have 128KB and need a 256KB one.

For a PNY Quadro 4000 you have to desolder the original 128KB SPI flash memory and replace it with a pre-programmed 256KB with hot air.

If was so easy, as is on GTX680, a lot o people here was doing it, don't you think? We have a lot of people here who use Pro apps that benefit from a Quadro, but yet no one confirmed Quadro flashing.

If you want so badly a Quadro card, maybe you should use one along Apple GT120 like most of the people here does. GT120 will do the bootscreen, Quadro will do the heavy lift after macOS starts.

Last edited:

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
You did not yet acknowledge one important fact: Nvidia PC Cards usually have half the SPI flash needed. Some have 64KB and need a 128KB, some have 128KB and need a 256KB one.

For a PNY Quadro 4000 you have to desolder the original 128KB SPI flash memory and replace it with a pre-programmed 256KB with hot air.

If was so easy, as is on GTX680, a lot o people here was doing it, don't you think? We have a lot of people here who use Pro apps that benefit from a Quadro, but yet no one confirmed Quadro flashing.

If you want so badly a Quadro card, maybe you should use one along Apple GT120 like most of the people here does. GT120 will do the bootscreen, Quadro will do the heavy lift after macOS starts.

thanks a lot alex, i'm not a pro of this, just want to find a way to try to use video card on mac pro with boot screen, either we can flash it ourself, or find someone locally to do it, i'd like to pay the service, but mvc's more than 150 usd charge is too much, i can't affort it, i understand a lot from your reply, but still can't flash it myself, i will spend some more time to find a solution, if it's not that complicated, thank you anyway for your help, if you pass in paris, please let me know, i may buy you a drink, have a good weekend. daniel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.