Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
I have a Nikon D40 and an SB600. I want to purchase a system for triggering my flash off camera. How can I do this?

The Sb600 can only operate in slave mode. So i need something to trigger it.

---Pocket Wizards. If i were to use pocket wizards, will one act as a master and trigger the 600 through the wireless slave mode? or do I need 2 pocket wizards, one as a transmitter and one as a receiver?

-assuming i need 2 pw's I have to purchase a hotshoe to pc sync cable to use the pw with the 600, correct ?

---SB900. this i know will work, but is borderline expensive for my budget. And is really only useful if i plan to use Speedlights for the rest of my life. At least the pocket wizard can also trigger other strobes if I had the right cables, correct ?

If anyone has any other suggestions I would be grateful for the advice.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I have a Nikon D40 and an SB600. I want to purchase a system for triggering my flash off camera. How can I do this?

---Pocket Wizards. If i were to use pocket wizards, will one act as a master and trigger the 600 through the wireless slave mode? or do I need 2 pocket wizards, one as a transmitter and one as a receiver?

-assuming i need 2 pw's I have to purchase a hotshoe to pc sync cable to use the pw with the 600, correct ?

---SB900. this i know will work, but is borderline expensive for my budget. And is really only useful if i plan to use Speedlights for the rest of my life. At least the pocket wizard can also trigger other strobes if I had the right cables, correct ?

To trigger an SB600 with anything that doesn't have a hotshoe, you're going to need a hotshoe to pc-sync adapter.

PWs are excellent, but not cheap. You'll also lose high-speed sync unless you go with RadioPopper at the moment. Personally, while I like the dependability of the PWs as well as the fact that they only sell transceivers with their main units, so any unit is capable of backing up any other unit, the cost factor made me go with Alien Bee Cybersyncs.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas

I'm no expert on this, so if anyone knows better, please feel free to correct me.

Regardless of which method of radio triggers you buy, you'll need a transmitter and a receiver. Nikon's built-in wireless methods use RF, which requires line of sight. Radio triggers allow you to hide the strobes in all kinds of places and not worry.

I have a feeling that the newest PocketWizard receivers have a built in hotshoe, meaning that your SB-600 should slot right in.

Other options include CyberSyncs (sold by the same company that makes the Alien Bee studio strobes), SkyPorts or cheapy e-Bay triggers (which I use, with mixed results).

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm no expert on this, so if anyone knows better, please feel free to correct me.

Nikon's built-in wireless methods use RF, which requires line of sight.

Nikon's flashes use Infra-Red (IR,) not Radio Frequency (RF)- RF ony needs line-of-site when you get up into the microwave bands, IR needs line-of-sight or a good white wall to bounce off of

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Nikon's flashes use Infra-Red (IR,) not Radio Frequency (RF)- RF ony needs line-of-site when you get up into the microwave bands, IR needs line-of-sight or a good white wall to bounce off of

I'll be honest, I don't know the first thing about the science behind this stuff.

The new PW receivers do have built in hotshoes though, am I right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.