Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
My dad used to be really into photography when he was younger. He has this whole set of lenses and an old Canon 35mm body, but he doesn't have the time or desire to go back to film. The last digital camera we got him was Christmas of 2003, so yeah, he is in need of an upgrade. Since I started school studying photography, he's really been getting back into it, but that old camera is just not keeping up.
He doesn't want (and can't afford the money or time) to invest in an SLR and lenses again.

So, my mom and I are looking for a higher end P&S, something from Canon (he's a fanboy). His main concerns are shutter lag, frames per second, and manual focusing.

Can anyone recommend something that will address these issues? His current camera is only 4MP, so anything will be an upgrade in resolution. We're looking to spend $400 max, but if you see something that's maybe a little more, post that, too (I could look for used ones).

Thanks a lot, guys! Hope you all have a great week!

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
Maybe this guy? The camera I started with before buying a Canon SLR

FZ50_3q-001.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz50/

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
thanks!

is there an older model, maybe 7 or 8MP? Even 6MP... He doesn't need that kind of resolution, so $450-500 isn't really in the price range we were looking for... Maybe an older one around $350?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Ummm....if he has a ton of Canon 35mm lenses -- get a Canon DSLR like the Rebel XT. It's not going back to film and he has awesome control over P&S alternatives. Smaller (pocket-sized) P&S cameras won't give you manual focus, more than 1.X FPS, or much control of shutter speed etc. A Rebel XT (not the newer XTi) can be had for cheap (even used models are great) and he can use his old lenses which he'll love.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Ummm....if he has a ton of Canon 35mm lenses -- get a Canon DSLR like the Rebel XT. It's not going back to film and he has awesome control over P&S alternatives. Smaller (pocket-sized) P&S cameras won't give you manual focus, more than 1.X FPS, or much control of shutter speed etc. A Rebel XT (not the newer XTi) can be had for cheap (even used models are great) and he can use his old lenses which he'll love.

they are old 35mm lenses, they have the old FD mount, not EF.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Man, oh man... a camera that has little shutter lag, fast burst rate, and can do manual focusing... for $350.

I'm not exactly sure if such a thing exists.

One of the problems with high end P&S (at least to me) is that when you use manual focus, you rarely ever find an optical viewfinder camera. The EVF just can't compare to what your eye can do, and manually focusing using the LCD is a pain.

That being said, redrabbit pointed out your obvious choice, but you may also consider the 8MP FZ-30, or even the 5MP FZ-20 (which actually had better glass than either the 30 or the 50). I used to own the FZ-20, and while power-to-shot time was crap, it had decent shutter lag (once again likely due to the awesome glass- think about it: a 36 to 430mm f/2.8 Leica lens), and fired away at 3fps. Search the sites, and you might be able to get one of those older models.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Found a used FZ-30 on eBay for $320... 99% positive rating, says it's in great condition. 1 day to decide, haha. Ahh, I'll talk to mom about it, see if she wants to go that route. The FZ-30 looks like a really nice buy...

art gardiner

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Cairo, Egypt
Another choice, while a little more than you stated you wanted to spend is Canon's G7 or G9.

Canon G7 - $519.95
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/460253-REG/Canon_1285B001_PowerShot_G7_Digital_Camera.html

Canon G9 - $449.95
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518209-REG/Canon_2082B001_PowerShot_G9_Digital_Camera.html

Either, are really nice point&shoot cameras, and they fall close to what you were wanting to spend. That said, the MF ring is on the back surrounding the multi-selector switch, and focusing is via the rear lcd.

You might want to talk to your dad about where he's looking to go with his photography in the next couple of years. If he's thinking about taking it up with any regularity, he might be happier with a dslr. What he likes about his older film bodies; manual focus, film advance, complete control over the entire capture experience, really does not translate into a point&shoot mind frame. The cameras are built and marketed to serve two distinctly different sections of the population; one, for those looking to simply document an event utilizing a visual medium, and the other to give artistic control entirely over to the camera's operator who is looking to capture as much the emotional experience, as well as the visual.

The secondhand market exsist almost exclusively of individuals looking to offset the cost of upgrading their current system, with savings to be had on many outstanding products. (You can read as little, or as much into this as you wish.) $400 can be stretched to purchase a dslr body (Canon XT), and a new Canon 50mm 1.8 lens. If you're looking to purchase from a reputable secondhand camera retailor, my suggestion would be to go to http://www.keh.com. Many photographers I know have purchased from them with no problems what so ever - I have purchased from them myself. They offer a generous warranty, and have a very honest rating system.

Hope you found this helpful.

Art

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If he can live with 2.2 fps and bursts of 3 images, take a long look at the Fujifim S6000fd (also known as S6500fd). Exactly THAT one, because of the sensor.

The focus ring has electronic, not mechanical linkage.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Take a look at this Olympus SP-550 UZ...

Nice 28mm (35mm eq.) wide angle, insane 18x zoom, all the things you expect from a P&S plus lots of manual control...

And it has become extremely affordable after the SP-560 UZ (which, BTW, also fits your price tag, with current rebates at Amazon).

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
There is a 100 bucks rebate for the Pentax K100Super with build in stabiliser. If you are wiling to tweak the jpeg color setting and the noise reduction feature as factory settings are (per review) a bit odd, it should be a great camera

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
thanks for all the suggestions, haven't had time to look through them all, but I appreciate it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.