Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
As much as I would like to own a DSLR the cost / weight of the extras is all to much . I did it once and need to go light . So what in your opinion is the better p&s . Please give your reasons . I do understand that what you shoot has a big say in choosing . There is so much to pick from , so what is it you look for . Thanks

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
PnS?
well the Canon S1100 is a great one as well as the Sony Cybershot W170

but if you want bigger BIGGER ones then look at the more advanced PnS cameras. i dont know any good models because i dont research them as much.

i suggest go to best buy and hit PnS then advanced PnS to see what i mean in advanced PnS cameras. they look similar to a DSLR and act somewhat similar to them.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
canon g10

Is there any truth to the review that said cs3 can not read the G 10 in raw . It is now a choice between Lumix tz5 and canon G10 . Both take good pic's , the G10 has raw & manual controls , Tz5 has 10x' zoom . Both are good in low light . The only problem is this cs 3 thing . I want to work with my pic's using ps cs3 . Any thoughts ? Thanks

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
A lot of the stores still have the Canon G9, discounted because of the recent intro of the G10.

Personally, I think the G9 is a better camera, and there's some great deals on it right now.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
P & S thanks

This forum has been a great help . Not knowing a lot about cameras and having your input has been good . Experience is a great teacher , and this is the place to get all that . Thanks .

Bodine

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2007
Here is another vote for Canon point and shoot cameras. I have the PowerShot SD800 IS. I like it because it is small, easy to use and the picture quality is very good.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
How about this?

leica_m8_zoom0.jpg

Soop53

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
Ohio
I purchased a Nikon P50 for my wife a few weeks back for $99 on sale at Circuit City...early Christmas present. She just loves it. Big enough for her to hold on to but small enough for her purse.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Is there any truth to the review that said cs3 can not read the G 10 in raw . It is now a choice between Lumix tz5 and canon G10 . Both take good pic's , the G10 has raw & manual controls , Tz5 has 10x' zoom . Both are good in low light . The only problem is this cs 3 thing . I want to work with my pic's using ps cs3 . Any thoughts ? Thanks

This is a little confusing, as the TZ5 and G10 are not really comparable.

Are you familiar with what RAW is, as opposed to jpg? I am not sure if CS3 can read G10 raw or not, but the G10 can shoot jpg as well as RAW. The TZ5 can only shoot jpg -- there is no RAW option. So, if you are comparing jpg-only, then CS3's limitation on G10 RAW (if real) is moot. CS3 can read jpg from either camera. If you do want to shoot RAW, then the TZ5 is completely out because it can't shoot RAW.

The RAW vs. JPG thing aside, you are still comparing apples to oranges.

The TZ5 is a true easy-point-and-shoot that packs a great zoom range in a tiny package. BUT it has less control over aperture and shutter speed than the G10, has no optical viewfinder, and the G10's picture quality is better -- especially at ISO200 and below.

If you compare the LX3 (or D-Lux 4) vs. G10, those are more comparable, as they both give you full control and RAW shooting capabilities, with similar image quality, but the zoom ranges are vastly different, and again only the G10 has an optical viewfinder.

If you can comment on WHAT you want to do with the camera and how much you want to spend, you'd get better feedback. I thin k you wouldn't do too bad with the G10 if you are looking for an all-around camera (or a used G9, for that matter), but it will really depend on what you need, and a G10 could be overkill if you don't need all it's features.

atlanticza

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Cape Town
Just purchased the Canon G10 to complement my (exceptionally heavy) Canon D1s kit. Great little camera and has an optical viewfinder. Purchased the Leica D-Lux 3 some time ago but could never get used to composing/focussing etc by staring at the LCD screen at arms length!

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
G 10

I now own a G 10 , it is a Christmas present from the wife . My choose of cameras is done . Mac just sent out an update for raw , it now supports raw for the G 10 . Also , believe it or not the G 9 , if you can find one here in Ontario was only $10 cheaper . Merry Christmas all and thanks

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Didn't go for the M8, eh?

While I love my D-Lux3 as a point and shoot, the G10 is a fine instrument and tool. Congrats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.