Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vizio + Apple TV = ?

• Everything works except turning ON the TV when Apple TV is activated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing works!

• More things used to work at first, and now they don't (specify reason, such as fw update)

• Other (let us know!)

• Total voters

jimmyco2008

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
It's been several months since the last thread about Apple TV + TV CEC woes, and I'm wondering if things have gotten any better.

I have a 2016 Vizio D50u-D1 that has the same basic issue as most Vizio TVs with issues- everything CEC works except for turning off the TV when the Apple TV sleeps. Please chime in if you use your Apple TV paired with a Vizio TV, and let us know if you're still having issues, never had issues, or your issues were fixed (and how they were fixed).

EDIT: if you vote on the poll, it'd be cool if you also posted your TV model (as well as what you voted for). Thanks!

Last edited:

jimmyco2008

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Yeah it's the next-best thing. The Vizio support person I spoke with said it was designed as such. I asked that he pass on to whomever that it'd be great to have a setting for allowing CEC to turn off the TV (as I believe some other manufacturers' TVs have), for what it's worth.

Reactions: satcomer

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Yeah it's the next-best thing. The Vizio support person I spoke with said it was designed as such. I asked that he pass on to whomever that it'd be great to have a setting for allowing CEC to turn off the TV (as I believe some other manufacturers' TVs have), for what it's worth.

That's really great here that you spoke with the Vizio Support! Hope enough users ask them about this!

Last edited:

perryalekna10

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2016
As of September 29th, my visio M50-C1 received a firmware update and works "properly" now. Previously, could only turn tv on. Now it turns it on and off. I only use Apple TV Remote and all content runs through Apple TV (using Channels and HDHomeRun).

I still have to switch to smart tv features for amazon prime... airplay doesn't work for me in that app. But I really just don't watch prime video anymore.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
Vizio M322i-B1 & ATV4 (tvOS 9)— both the hardware remote and the Apple TV Remote app turn the TV ON and OFF when I “long press” the home key then select sleep. But changing the volume requires the hardware remote IR blaster.

—GetRealBro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.