Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the 13" Macbook Pro M1 just a stopgap until a new 14" M1 arrives?

• Yes - the 13" Macbook Pro M1 is just a temporary stopgap until the 14" arrives

• No - The 13" and 14" Macbook Pro M1 will co-exist in the future

• Neither - There will be no 14" Macbook Pro M1

Results are only viewable after voting.

geejay9876

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2018
Hi,

does it make sense for Apple to have a 13" and 14" MacBook Pro model available at the same time?

My lingering suspicion is that the current 13" MacBook Pro model, which has actually very little hardware/internal layout changed from the old Intel MacBook, is just a stopgap solution. I fear that a new MBP 14" will permanently replace MBP 13".

Another point favouring this scenario is that the Macbook Air and Pro M1 are almost identical in performance. So 13" lovers could be happy with a 13" Macbook Air and power users would opt for a Macbook Pro 14". The final lineup would be then 13" MBA, 14" MBP and 16" MBP.

That would make buying a 13" MBP M1 less attractive now.

Your thoughts?

Cheers Gerry

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I think the four port 13” MacBook Pro will be replaced by the 14” model. It will also have an upgraded 14” price so be ready for the tears.

I think the low end two port MBP and MBA will stay 13” for now. They are budget friendly and do what most non pro users need.

Reactions: HappyIntro

geejay9876

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2018
I think the four port 13” MacBook Pro will be replaced by the 14” model. It will also have an upgraded 14” price so be ready for the tears.

I think the low end two port MBP and MBA will stay 13” for now. They are budget friendly and do what most non pro users need.
What's the point of having both a two-port M1 MBP and MBA? The specs are almost the same, just the screen is different. Or am I missing something?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The Air isn't going away; demand for the its wedge shape has been consistently strong enough to where Apple tried and failed more than once to get rid of it. I can see there being the two-port 13" MBA, two-port 14" MBP to better differentiate it from the Air, and then the four-port 16" MBP.

Of course I hope that the Air and Small Pro remain similar is specs so your choice really does come down to which form factor you prefer.

j_in_tx

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2018
The Air isn't going away; demand for the its wedge shape has been consistently strong enough to where Apple tried and failed more than once to get rid of it. I can see there being the two-port 13" MBA, two-port 14" MBP to better differentiate it from the Air, and then the four-port 16" MBP.

Of course I hope that the Air and Small Pro remain similar is specs so your choice really does come down to which form factor you prefer.
wedge shape is strong because the standard shape hurts the hand.

Just placed order for M1 Air. Going to make my first swappa for sale post very soon on my 2019 16” i9.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
wedge shape is strong because the standard shape hurts the hand.
I've had my current 13" MBP for six years and it has never hurt my hands; that being said, I'm probably getting the Air if it runs the Bricklink Studio Lego software well enough. After years of my fan roaring on complex models, I'll take fan-less quiet if the throttling isn't noticible. I do need to test the Pro to see how loud its fans are.

j_in_tx

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2018
everything is a stopgap until we 4 ports and for some like me until Windows under Parallels works.

I mentioned I’m selling my 2019...I still have a 2018 for that purpose.

geejay9876

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2018
Since asking the question, I got myself an 8-core MBA, sold my Early-2015 MBP. The M1 MBA exceeds the 2015 MBP in almost all aspects. The 2015 MBP has a sturdier screen that doesn't bend. Otherwise, I can see only advantages with the M1 MBA.

A 14-inch MBP would have to offer a substantial performance boost to make it worthwhile, I can live perfectly without a touch bar.

Reactions: jerryk

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Since asking the question, I got myself an 8-core MBA, sold my Early-2015 MBP. The M1 MBA exceeds the 2015 MBP in almost all aspects. The 2015 MBP has a sturdier screen that doesn't bend. Otherwise, I can see only advantages with the M1 MBA.

A 14-inch MBP would have to offer a substantial performance boost to make it worthwhile, I can live perfectly without a touch bar.
still on 2015 13inch, i was gonna get the m1 mba but now with the news of 14inch that might come with magsafe and all the goodies, i think i'll wait.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The current 13" m1 MBP will likely fade away after the new 14" and 16" m1x MBP's are introduced later this year.

So... to answer the OP's question... YES, they are pretty much a "stopgap" solution to get the m-series CPU "out there" as soon as possible.

Reactions: jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.