Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

My Apple experience was...

• Total voters

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I recently had two less the positive interactions with Apple phone support and Apple retail. Both instances were in regards to a Recall program (USB-C cable and Travel adapters).

I'll try to keep my stories short and to the point.

My experience with the USB-C recall: Spent over 30 min. on the chat with AppleCare, sent the agent pictures of my USB-C cable per his request. Agent advised that my cable was effected and I should take it in to my local Apple store for inspection/replacement. The issue is the nearest Apple store is over 20 min. drive each way + fight to find/pay for parking + take time off from work/family. The cable could easily be shipped to me, but the agent would not and insists I visit a Apple store for the exchange. They want my cable back he said. Which is not a problem with me, but going to an Apple store is. My potential costs to make the exchange may be more than what the cable is retailed for. It was be easier to just buy another one.

My experience with the Travel adapters recall: Visited an Apple store and told the staff I need to make the exchange. I showed the staff member what I had and he marked the visit on his iPad. Since I didn't have an appointment I waited an hour for the next Genius to become available. Not a problem... I waited.

Spoke to a Genius and he confirmed my adapters are effected. He said he can order the parts for me to pick up in a week. This means I have to make another visit to the store to make the exchange. The Genius would not ship the adapters to me even though I offered to leave him mine. He said alternatively I could call AppleCare for a replacement to be shipped. This is not true because AppleCare have asked me to bring the adapters to a Genius for inspection/confirmation that what I have are effected. So after making the trip to The store manager told me there are no other ways for me to exchange the adapters other than making a second visit to the store. Apple store and spending over an hour and half, I was back to square one with the recalled adapters in hand.

Final thoughts: I don't remember ever walking out of an Apple Store upset until these two experiences. It has left a sour taste in my mouth on Apple's customer service. These recalls are not my fault, but I am asked to be deeply inconvenienced to make the exchange on the effected products. I feel like I am being penalized to buy/support Apple products.

Please share your experiences with Apple customer service, positive or negative.

Last edited:

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Update: I got a call from Apple Executive Relations today. While she was very nice and wanting to help, the only solution she could give me is to re-visit my local Apple store for the exchange.

I am happy that Apple listened to me, but I'm not happy about the inconvenience and stress this has caused me.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
My only experience was horrible which happened in 2002 when my eMac video failed a few days after my warranty expired. Even though it was a known issue, they refused to take care of it. It ended up in the garbage.

Reactions: HiFiGuy528
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.