Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I have satisfied about my choice or not (Space gray)

• Total voters

DrewK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
Hi
I know many of you already got the nMBP and started using it.

I want to know your opinion after using them, just about color satisfaction.
For example, I regret choosing SG because it shows off too much fingerprints or SG becomes ugly at night with dark lights on or discoloration of space gray(who may experienced in new macbook or ipads)

I can guess who picked silver do not regret because they have used silver color since longtime ago and we know it already, but there is no NEW things as well. I ordered SG now but Just curious!!

Last edited:

PrideHeart

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
I saw the Space Grey in person and it looks more cool than silver. Plus, thinking of adding some skins to make it look more unique.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Was regretting my decision before it arrived, but now I've seen it in person it's a really nice colour. Can go from almost a matte black in some lighting to an off-silver. Does pick up more fingerprints, but I can live with it.

augenleet

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2016
I planned to get Space Gray but only Silvers were available in the store. I'm actually happy with that, because the higher contrast between the body and keyboard is more appealing to me.

Reactions: skids929

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
We are talking about a computer, not a work of art hanging in the Louvre. Get a computer cloth and wipe off the computer after use. That way it doesn't build up a lot of finger prints. Either color is going to acquire fingerprints.

csicilia

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2016
I am waiting for mine, originally I ordered SG but Next day I cancelled and changed to silver. Originally I choose the SG for the novelty but I really like the tradition and cleanliness of silver.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Absolutely loving my MacBook Pro in Space Grey after almost two weeks with it. I noticed after I got it that the color is almost the exact same as the aluminum on the Sony VAIO Z I was coming from. Heard about people getting smudges easily with the SG, but I have not found that to be the case. Although I've heard other Apple Space Grey products can fade over time.

dk808

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2015
I ordered the space grey first, then went to the apple store to see it in person. Ended up liking the Silver one more so i cancelled and reordered

DrewK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
The reason I picked space gray after seeing in the store, I felt the space gray one looks different. On the other hand, silver looks so same as previous mbps and no light apple logo makes me more upset because same silver different models, with light looks much cooler.
But still concerning about duration and smuges on space gray.
[doublepost=1480295233][/doublepost]
We are talking about a computer, not a work of art hanging in the Louvre. Get a computer cloth and wipe off the computer after use. That way it doesn't build up a lot of finger prints. Either color is going to acquire fingerprints.
It makes sense, however I am paying more money for macbook because of the outlook, not choosing other devices having better performances. It is personal preference though.

dk808

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2015
The reason I picked space gray after seeing in the store, I felt the space gray one looks different. On the other hand, silver looks so same as previous mbps and no light apple logo makes me more upset because same silver different models, with light looks much cooler.
But still concerning about duration and smuges on space gray.
[doublepost=1480295233][/doublepost]
It makes sense, however I am paying more money for macbook because of the outlook, not choosing other devices having better performances. It is personal preference though.
Honestly I was that way too but the space grey looked too similar to a windows laptop and it didn't look like a Apple product to me. Wish they went matte black instead

DrewK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
Honestly I was that way too but the space grey looked too similar to a windows laptop and it didn't look like a Apple product to me. Wish they went matte black instead
That was my first concern too!! So I ordered silver first and visited apple store to see them in person. Their outlooks look totally different when you see them in person to compare to hp or dell products. Somewhat in pictures, I agree they look so similar jajaja

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
I want to know your opinion after using them, just about color satisfaction.
For example, I regret choosing SG because it shows off too much fingerprints or SG becomes ugly at night with dark lights on or discoloration of space gray(who may experienced in new macbook or ipads)
I have been using a Space Grey 12" MacBook for about a year and a half now, prior to getting the new 13" nTB MBP and I can say that I haven't had any issues with your first or third point. As for your second point, that's subjective and I'm sorry you feel that way.

If that's the case, have you considered returning it for the Silver version?

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I had the Space Gray loaded 13" model for 24 hours but returned it for the base model as I really didn't need the power or the added cost for what I normally do on it. When given the choice I went back to silver. The Space Gray just shows too many finger prints. Even in the limited time I had it, it always seemed dirty to me and I was constantly wiping it down. the silver seems to stay cleaner looking. Happy I switched back to classic Mac silver.

Reactions: kp98077

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Space Gray was my choice and I'm still happy with it. I've had the silver computers for 8 years and this is a great new color. I prefer the look of the keyboard on the Space Gray. My computer is treated gently and I'm not worried about scratches or fingerprints. I've had it for a week and no fingerprints yet. Love it!

DrewK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
Absolutely loving my MacBook Pro in Space Grey after almost two weeks with it. I noticed after I got it that the color is almost the exact same as the aluminum on the Sony VAIO Z I was coming from. Heard about people getting smudges easily with the SG, but I have not found that to be the case. Although I've heard other Apple Space Grey products can fade over time.
What do you mean by other Apple sPace grey products can fade over time? Do you mean discoloration or smuges fade out?

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Well, I have a 15" Space Gray 2016, and now I noticed that the speaker grill holes have a dirty look.
The inner wall of the speaker grill holes have an inconsistent silber shine, probably due to thinner Space Gray color coat, which makes it look somehow filled with dust and somewhat dirty. Depends of the view angle, too.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
That was my first concern too!! So I ordered silver first and visited apple store to see them in person. Their outlooks look totally different when you see them in person to compare to hp or dell products. Somewhat in pictures, I agree they look so similar jajaja

MacBooks have a very distinctive look in my opinion, whether silver or sg.

Also, there are a lot of silver Windows laptops too.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Well, I have a 15" Space Gray 2016, and now I noticed that the speaker grill holes have a dirty look.
The inner wall of the speaker grill holes have an inconsistent silber shine, probably due to thinner Space Gray color coat, which makes it look somehow filled with dust and somewhat dirty. Depends of the view angle, too.

Can't say I have this on mine. Do you mean where the inner wall dips into the keyboard? If so, I think this may be a trick of the light due to the angle of the 'wall'.

My SG looks awesome, end of story. It does not look any dirtier than the silver MBP I once had. I had concerns about my colour choice given some of the views expressed on here by these have not been borne out by my experiences. Ultimately it comes down to personal preference and I would recommend seeing both versions in person.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Can't say I have this on mine. Do you mean where the inner wall dips into the keyboard? If so, I think this may be a trick of the light due to the angle of the 'wall'.

My SG looks awesome, end of story. It does not look any dirtier than the silver MBP I once had. I had concerns about my colour choice given some of the views expressed on here by these have not been borne out by my experiences. Ultimately it comes down to personal preference and I would recommend seeing both versions in person.
I mean this dusty look, at a low view angle. I think the silver MBP does not have this dirty looking speaker grill effect.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 4,322
Last edited:
Reactions: macintoshmac

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I love the Apple white color from back in the day, their retro beige that's not really beige, and I loved their aluminium silvery colors, but i really love the space grey. I do not have the space grey iMac, but I am jealous of iMac Pro users who will have it. And I dont have a laptop that's the color, but i work with them. And I really love the color.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Have it on my 13, a little more on one side than the other, at that. :( Not funny, Apple.
Yep comes from the Space Gray color difference from outer to inner of the speaker grill.
I think the space gray color does not apply very well to these tiny holes, and they remain inconsistently lighter due to the silver of the aluminum shining through.
The non-SG is all same color, I think they look better at this part.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Yep comes from the Space Gray color difference from outer to inner of the speaker grill.
I think the space gray color does not apply very well to these tiny holes, and they remain inconsistently lighter due to the silver of the aluminum shining through.
The non-SG is all same color, I think they look better at this part.

I had noticed it the moment I opened the machine, because light came on it from an angle. I figured that in Touch Bar MacBook Pros those holes are only cosmetic anyway, so doesn't matter if one side looked as if properly drilled and the other looked like just touched. From the top down there is imperceptible difference, if any even exists.

But to answer the OP of the thread, I am perfectly happy with SG and it is built to last.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.