Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's the reason you haven't bought a HomePod? (Up to 3 choices)

• No bluetooth input

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • No auxiliary input jacks

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • Siri isn't good enough

Votes: 33 30.0%
  • Price (FYI it was just lowered to $299 MSRP)

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Apple's walled garden / lack of integration with third party apps

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • Can't make phone calls with it

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Not enough physical controls/gestures

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Lack of repairability and/or high price of repair ($279)

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Other (explain in thread)

Votes: 27 24.5%

• Total voters

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
This poll is for people interested in the HomePod, but there is something holding you back. Poll will let you pick up to three things, but you don't have to pick three.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Right now my Echo products do what I want. I can adjust all three of the Heating and AC zones.

Home automation has a long way to go after reading here. Apple promised a big leap in Siri's tech and so far I have not seen it.

No need for HomePod for music as I have a house full of Sonos!

Last edited:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Lack of flexibility with non-Apple devices as I live in a mixed Apple and Android household and I'm still not convinced about the sound quality from the demos I've heard.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Not really in the Apple ecosystem and the Apple products I do have cannot be used easily with the HomePod. Too pricey, and Siri is not very good. If you could plug them in and use them as regular speakers I would be more interested, but not by much.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
For me, no bluetooth, no aux input, and too tightly integrated into Appleland. Over the years I've seen a gap growing between what I need my tech to do and where Apple is going and so I don't want Apple to have that kind of control over what I do with my devices.

HomePod audio sounds great and is visually appealing and if Apple addressed those issues, I'd buy one...probably two. But as it is, I won't buy one, and although Sonos is very popular, it doesn't do it for me, and so I'm left with a cheaper, interim, distributed solution... Google Home Mini + Chromecast Audio + IKEA Eneby speaker.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
I’m not interested in a lot of the functionality ( messaging, phone calls, for example ), but I would like it to be able to natively play audiobooks. If it could do that, i’d pick one up.

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Cost is the main issue with the Homepod and the only reason why I never jumped onboard at launch as I’m fully Apple for work and home and love Apple Music.

Once I heard the news of the price cut to under £300 I order two so I can pair them. Can’t wait until they arrive next week

PsykX

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2006
I have one, but I bought it second-hand at 35-40% discount.
I wouldn't have paid the full price suggested by Apple because... Siri.
I hope 2019 changes the course of things.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I'll only put Apple assistants in my house due to what I perceive as their better attitude towards privacy. I'm fully invested in Homekit (70 devices and lights) and run AppleTV 4K and HDMI as my two Homekit hubs. For Airplay music throughout the home, I run standard amps with Bose speakers (Yes, I guess I'm old school) hooked up to Ethernet-connected Airports - a network I built up over time. So the Homepod for me would essentially be a Homekit Hub with Siri, and not much else.

I simply can't justify one even at the new lower price. It's still twice as much as an Echo Plus for what amounts (for my needs) to the exact same functionality. If Apple rolls out a small form factor version for $150 I might be interested.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
  • Price
  • Already have several Amazon Echos (one original, one Show, two Spots, two Dots)
  • Already have a Sonos Beam
  • Siri/HomeKit isn’t compatible with all of my smart home gear (my Lutron & Hue are, but my Nest gear is not)

strangerAir

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2018
For me it’s always been the price. We have a couple of echo pluses in the house but they are used by the offspring for music and light control. My only use/interest would be music. I’ve played with the HomePod in the Apple store and love it’s looks and sound quality. I’m sure I’ll own one (or two) by the end of the year

Mike75

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Already have a sonos in pretty much every room in the house, plus a couple of google home minis. Homepod would be superfluous.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
Price was the reason for me. But, I’m heading to Costco in a minute to pick one up to try. They’re going for $279, $269 at Sam’s but I’d rather get it from Costco for extra warranty and easier returns if I don’t like it.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Price was the reason for me. But, I’m heading to Costco in a minute to pick one up to try. They’re going for $279, $269 at Sam’s but I’d rather get it from Costco for extra warranty and easier returns if I don’t like it.
$249 at Best Buy today.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I seriously don't see the point of it. I have speakers. I have iOS devices and macOS devices that respond to "Hey Siri". I don't need a $300 speaker that ONLY connects to iOS / macOS devices.

Reactions: x-evil-x

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Simple....Sonos is a much, much better option.....not even really debatable at this point with the Alexa integration of Apple music and Airplay 2.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
So I picked up a HomePod for under $200 and no tax - even that seems too much for what it can do. I'll keep it as I slowly build out my HomeKit kit. However, I was just messing around with Siri Shortcuts on it today - Jesus it can't do ANYTHING without unlocking the iPhone - plain useless. At least it doesn't keep a recording of my voice - unlike El Goog or Samazon...

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Simple....Sonos is a much, much better option.....not even really debatable at this point with the Alexa integration of Apple music and Airplay 2.
This. My house if full of Sonos speakers which were bought from resellers. They're expandable, they operate on a private Wi-Fi network in my house, some of them sound MUCH better than HomePod, and they now support Google Home and Airplay. There just is no reason to go with HomePod over an expandable Sonos setup.

Truckondo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
I’m using Sonos. 2 Amps are driving my outdoor speakers and it has been working great. I also have a Play 1 in the garage when I’m in there wrenching.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I’m not interested in a lot of the functionality ( messaging, phone calls, for example ), but I would like it to be able to natively play audiobooks. If it could do that, i’d pick one up.

You’re in luck. The audioOS update coming with iOS 13 will play audiobooks.

sdarren7

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2018
Still not available in singapore. The rollout of the homepod is so slow. Not like there is shortage of stocks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.