Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What camera type/brand do you primarily use?

• Total voters

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Without digressing into battles over which is best, I'm curious to see what types and brands MR users are shooting with as their primary camera.

The poll choices attempt to differentiate Film, Medium/Large Format, DSLR, and Point & Shoot users. Obviously we could list three times as many poll options but my assumption is that most people on this MR forum are shooting with modern DSLRs. That category is broken down by manufacturer for that reason.

For my fellow statisticians, I know this is piss-poor methodology -- let's just run with it and see what happens! :)

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
I got my Nikon D50 for Graduation from high school...i tried to get the Cannon Rebel, but i still love my Nikon!! I'd love to get a Medium Format Hassleblad, but I'm poor hahaha:p

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Olympus OM-4 is pretty much my primary camera along with a Rolleiflex T for MF. Then there's my 40D for dig...but I don't use that for leisure shots as much anymore.

But I chose 35mm since I guess I use it the most.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Since I got my Rebel XTi last December, I've pretty much left my Canon S1 IS and S2 IS untouched, except for the odd macro video here and there.

I love my XTi :D

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
Hey M@lew, I knew you shot film. Thats cool its with the OM-4, I had 2 and a dozen lenses back in college, then it all got stolen. And sorta gave up my passion for photography for the last 18 years.

nizo303

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
I just got my Sony a300 yesterday! :D

Everything good so far. The grip is really nice and the controls and menus are easy to use.
This is my first dslr, and it feels like I have been reading millions of reviews trying to decide brand and model. What tipped the scales was the ergonomics and the great value for money. :)

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Pentax K10D :D
Had the largest viewfinder and felt the most solid of all the cameras I held. Add shake reduction and sensor cleaning wasn't a bad deal.

One year on it's going great, accepting older lenses is pretty handy too.

As with Apple, it's nice to be different ;)

cbtscheid

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Just jumped into the big pool

My first camera was a Sony DSC-H5 which had a great zoom and I loved taking pictures with it, but I knew there were shots I would never capture because I was limited to the in-camera lens. When I started looking for my next camera I knew I wanted something I could grow into. Two weeks ago I bought my first DSLR, a Nikon D300 with the kit lens, a 18-200mm 1.3.5-5.6. So as you can imagine, the learning curve on the Nikon is off the chart. Somewhat overwhelmed, I am having fun shooting and reading everything I can get my hands on, diving into the deep end and enjoying the learning! :D

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Been a Canon (35mm) & Pentax (MF) user/fanboy :p for many years, but jumped into the DSLR fray a couple of years ago. Bought a Nikon D50 - solely because it fit my hands better than the Canon equivalent, it's the first Nikon I've ever owned - and am very pleased with the shots I've taken with it (quite a few have gotten into print).

Naim135

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
St Helens UK
Leica Digilux 1

Got this 6 Years ago to photograph the birth of my Son!

Looking to upgrade now my dad has a Nikon D200 with a Tamron 18-55 F2.8 Lens

I am looking to get a D300 not sure about lenses though

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
What if you uses multiple cameras?
I have, and regularly use:

Nikon D70
Panasonic Lumix P&S
Canon A-1
Holga CF120
Lomography SuperSampler
Lomography Fisheye

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I started photography about 30 years ago with an Olympus OM-1, then OM-2n, then OM-4 and did my own darkroom stuff. They were great cameras and it was a great hobby, but film was expensive and cumbersome. I started noodling with digital point-and-shoots in the mid-90's, but they were pretty rudimentary back then. I finally switched to digital complelely with a Fuji S2 Pro about 6 years ago because I felt like it was a better camera than the Nikon D100, then moved over to Nikon when Fuji fell behind in subsequent models. I had a D2H for several years until recently moving up to a D3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.