Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What feature would you like to see the most in this year's non-pro iPhone models ?

• Total voters

BluMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2021
This year's upcoming iPhone are poised to get lots of new upgrades according to leaks but most of them are seemingly centered around the Pro Models only. In this regard, I would like to ask you what features would you like to have in this year's non-pro iPhones ? You can select only 2 options in the poll below since the non pro models won't get many new hardware features. I have considered only the potential features ( features that have the possibility of coming to the new iPhone ) , for example under display cameras are definetely not coming to this year's iPhone so I have not included such features.

I would like to know what other people think about this. I think a price reduction is crucial.

What do you say ?

PS : I am aware that there is a similar poll in this forum but that poll has too many options and is apparently centred around the entire iPhone 13 series. This poll is focusing only on the non pro models of the 13 series and only 2 options can be selected ( due to budget constraints only a few features can be added to the non pro iPhones ) . Furthermore the objective of this poll is to see which features do people value the MOST and not what features people like ( they like a lot of features but only a few of them may make their way into the new iPhone . This poll is intended to identify those few features ).

Last edited:

BluMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2021
Should I add 6GB RAM as an option as well ? If we look backwe can predict the that the i13 will probably have 6gb

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
The whole Touch ID with Face ID was important until the new 14.5 update. Yes it suck you need a watch for this (to those who don’t own one) but still for me it resolves my need.

So wish list is boring… better efficiency and better battery. I’m amazed at the stand by time on the mini. I’m happy with the camera now. I seriously won’t upgrade.

Last edited:

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
What I want isn’t liste

I want this for the entire iPhone 13 family, not just the non-Pros, but the ultra wide camera sensor is in desperate need of an upgrade. On the 11 family it was straight up unusable in any situation but bright outdoors daylight. The new ISP of the A14 helps a lot, but I find myself almost never using the ultra wide and instead using a clip on ultra wide lens.

also, I would like to see all the 13s get the upgraded wide sensor the 12 Pro Max got. There IS space inside, and while I’m okay if they have to remove Sensor Shift, the difference in image quality on the wide camera between a 12 Pro Max and other iPhone 12s is a very visible night and day difference.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Price reduction, what else :) I mean for me personally my iPhone 11 could probably be replaced with an SE. I use it mainly for calls but I don't like having the button at the bottom.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
Lidar schmidar - what does it do? 120Hz I probably wouldn't even notice after 30 seconds, Touch ID I just can't get on with, UFS3 ????, and I've already got 128GB in my base 12PM with 81.38GB empty. So if not the death ray I really want, a bigger (or just higher capacity) battery would not go amiss.

Did I miss out Price Drop? I really think my death ray is far more likely.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Bit more ram, better battery, better 5g/Wi-fi, Touch ID, smaller notch. Don’t expect the 12S to be more than an iterative internal upgrade.

Reactions: snipr125

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Price drop, or more likely returning to the original price $699 with 128GB as standard.
No need for UFS as iPhones use NVMe already.
Yes, a price drop would be welcome. Charging $829 for the iPhone 12, when the iPhone 11 was $699, especially with a puny 64 GB of storage, was ridiculous.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Yes, a price drop would be welcome. Charging $829 for the iPhone 12, when the iPhone 11 was $699, especially with a puny 64 GB of storage, was ridiculous.
Good point. Crazy how the mini wasn’t expected to sell well so it logically drove the price of the 12 up resulting in a very successful year for apple’s bottom line. More profits. Genius move really. Maybe that will be one reason the mini may stick around is to be a hedge to drive the price up. You can easily say the iPhone 13 start at 699, but 94% will pay more than 799.

Reactions: ian87w

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Underscreen Tooch ID. There are still situations where we have to wear masks and Underscreen Touch ID would be a big help
Enough Said

Reactions: Guacamole

BluMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2021
Price drop, or more likely returning to the original price $699 with 128GB as standard.
No need for UFS as iPhones use NVMe already.
I think it would be too difficult to make a 130 dollar price drop for the i13 because then the i12 will have to depreciate by 230 dollars which is impossible. Ideally they should price the base iPhone 13 at $749 and the mini at $649 with 128gb storage standard in both models .
Ideally it's time they reduced the price per unit storage.

Btw is NVMe better than UFS 3?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Underscreen Tooch ID. There are still situations where we have to wear masks and Underscreen Touch ID would be a big help
Enough Said
I'd rather have a capacitive touch ID on the power button. Under display fingerprint sensors are still not as fast and reliable as capacitive ones.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I think it would be too difficult to make a 130 dollar price drop for the i13 because then the i12 will have to depreciate by 230 dollars which is impossible. Ideally they should price the base iPhone 13 at $749 and the mini at $649 with 128gb storage standard in both models .
Ideally it's time they reduced the price per unit storage.

Btw is NVMe better than UFS 3?
Seems like NVMe is better in random reads and writes, which is important in real life performance. Apple has used NVMe since the 6s, so no point in suddenly switching to UFS that is not significantly better.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Touch ID (not because of masks, I just prefer it) and telephoto lens.

Also, isn’t increased base storage kind of just a different way of saying price reduction? Because it’s essentially saying you want more storage for less money.

BluMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2021
Enough Said
Touch ID seems crazily popular ( seeing it has the highest votes ). But I think Apple might bank on this fact and include it only in the pro models because they want us to buy the more expensive phones !

BluMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2021
Touch ID (not because of masks, I just prefer it) and telephoto lens.

Also, isn’t increased base storage kind of just a different way of saying price reduction? Because it’s essentially saying you want more storage for less money.
It's time they pumped up that 64gb to 128gb in the base model when almost every other android manufacturer has done so .
I think they should either

1) increase the base storage to 128gb and keep the price at $799

2) decrease the price to $749 and keep the base storage at 64gb

I prefer the latter. What about you ?
Also they should reduce the price per unit storage. Currently 64gb=$50, they should make 128gb=$50 but unlikely.

I wonder why Apple storage is so costly apart from profit reasons. Is NVMe more expensive than UFS?

Reactions: rui no onna

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
It's time they pumped up that 64gb to 128gb in the base model when almost every other android manufacturer has done so .
I think they should either

1) increase the base storage to 128gb and keep the price at $799

2) decrease the price to $749 and keep the base storage at 64gb

I prefer the latter. What about you ?
Also they should reduce the price per unit storage. Currently 64gb=$50, they should make 128gb=$50 but unlikely.

I wonder why Apple storage is so costly apart from profit reasons. Is NVMe more expensive than UFS?
Yeah #2 is more advantageous for the consumer because it allows people who only need 64gb to save $50. But I think #1 would be more likely of the two scenarios since price tends to move up if it does move.
I don’t know much about industry storage prices myself.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Touch ID seems crazily popular ( seeing it has the highest votes ). But I think Apple might bank on this fact and include it only in the pro models because they want us to buy the more expensive phones !
Unfortunately I think this is exactly what will happen, Touch ID will be on the Pro models only. This would not be an issue with me if the 12/13 Pro models retained the same 5.8" screen size as the 11 Pro, but at 6.1 its just a tad too big (but not an absolute deal breaker).

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Unfortunately I think this is exactly what will happen, Touch ID will be on the Pro models only. This would not be an issue with me if the 12/13 Pro models retained the same 5.8" screen size as the 11 Pro, but at 6.1 its just a tad too big (but not an absolute deal breaker).
I keep forgetting that the 12 Pro is now as big as the regular 12 (vs 11 Pro being smaller than the regular 11). I understand that this is Apple streamlining their production as the 12 and 12 Pro can share many components, but it leaves an awkward spot for the X/Xs/11 Pro users. Like you said, the 12 Pro can seem too big, while the 12 mini can feel too small.

Reactions: mcru21

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
The whole Touch ID with Face ID was important until the new 14.5 update. Yes it suck you need a watch for this (to those who don’t own one) but still for me it resolves my need.

So wish list is boring… better efficiency and better battery. I’m amazed at the stand by time on the mini. I’m happy with the camera now. I seriously won’t upgrade.

Sure it solved it for you and the minimal percent of total iPhone owners who own a compatible Apple Watch. For everybody else, 14.5 did nothing to solve the mask issue.

And that ignores other reasons people want the OPTION to use TouchID. Adding it to the power button like on the iPad Air while retaining FaceID is the most desirable solution for the majority of iPhone owners.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Sure it solved it for you and the minimal percent of total iPhone owners who own a compatible Apple Watch. For everybody else, 14.5 did nothing to solve the mask issue.

And that ignores other reasons people want the OPTION to use TouchID. Adding it to the power button like on the iPad Air while retaining FaceID is the most desirable solution for the majority of iPhone owners.
dude the poll ask:

What feature would you like to see in the next year's non-pro iPhone 13 ?​

Don't need anybody lecturing me how my opinion is wrong. I acknowledge the fact its a solution that was positive to me and a few others. Again the poll ask the readers opinion. Jeeeez.

Reactions: Devyn89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.