Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
This arrived in the mail today. I'm devastated. Anyone have a spare front bezel/shell? ;_;

It was packaged well and seemed to have adequate bubble wrap and other protection. It just seems like it was dropped prior to shipment. This was from Shopgoodwill.com BTW. Makes me QUITE leery on ordering something this old from them again. It wasn't a lot, but still.

The computer still works, but don't have any software disks to test the operating system environment out.

IMG_1692.JPG
IMG_1693.JPG
unnamed.jpg

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It was packaged well and seemed to have adequate bubble wrap and other protection. It just seems like it was dropped prior to shipment. This was from Shopgoodwill.com BTW. Makes me QUITE leery on ordering something this old from them again. It wasn't a lot, but still.

Each Goodwill is a separate entity, so I would definitely try contacting them to get a credit.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
True. Already submitted pictures. The CRT is literally hanging onto the frame on one side. You can see where the weak point of the frame is (everything is literally anchored to the left-hand side). I would feel bad sending it back especially if the CRT exploded mid shipment, but not my problem at this point.

Oh well, I still want one of these Macs just to have.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
That's really unfortunate.

If you decide to keep it for parts (or getting a replacement front panel) - be very careful that it stays reasonably square - If the board that attatchs to the back of the CRT gets knocked by the fan it could break the teat off the tube and render the CRT useless.

Keep it laying on it's face for now.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Sad photos & story! I hope you can satisfactorily salvage it and/or get some reimbursement.

Just for info, I looked on a national craigslist-like site here, and noticed an identical model for sale at 200€ ($US 210) OUCH!! Hope you didn't pay anything like that.......

I remember a rather worrying time after having purchased a scarce FlowerPower iMac, and awaiting the postal delivery. That was the first time I'd had anything of that size & weight packed & mailed by the seller.
By the promised delivery date my nails had been severely chewed away. But I was fortunate, it arrived in almost as-new condition. With the exception of the *!*%!* commonly defective slot-loading CD-ROM of course.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
I got a full refund. Only paid $53 shipped. I did manage to superglue some of the parts back but there are gaps and at lesat it's holding the frame somewhat stable. Other than the case damage, it appears to boot to the question mark/floppy icon, but have no discs to test other functionality besides connecting a keyboard/mouse and the 'bong' noise works.

I did remove the internal PRAM battery which the motherboard was perfectly fine.
[doublepost=1483980905][/doublepost]At lesat the back panel is almost perfect condition, besides a few marks on the stickers.

After shots:

IMG_1704.JPG IMG_1705.JPG
IMG_1706.JPG

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I got a full refund. Only paid $53 shipped. I did manage to superglue some of the parts back but there are gaps and at lesat it's holding the frame somewhat stable.

I wonder if you can find a parts Mac that you can rob the front frame off of? Perhaps you can find the part on eBay and end up with a decent Mac for not much money.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
I emailed him already. Way too wordy with responses and no savings at all for just the front bezel (understandably so). I'll risk buying a cheap one on Ebay and hope it arrives in sound shape!

Reactions: mikemike690

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
I went and bought another Macintosh SE (FDHD 1.44MB with 20MB SCSI HDD). At first, the HDD wouldn't boot and kept making a high pitch whining noise every few seconds, but I opened it up and moved the platter a little, and now it works perfectly.

I think I'm satisfied with my Macintosh SE endeavors for the time being. Best of all, no cracks or damage!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.