Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supertiffany

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
so which of the two will come first on iPhone?

which of the two you like better?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The two will likely come at the same time.

In-display fingerprint may eventually replace Face ID. Some manufacturers have already been able to completely hide the RGB camera behind the display.

supertiffany

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
The two will likely come at the same time.

In-display fingerprint may eventually replace Face ID. Some manufacturers have already been able to completely hide the RGB camera behind the display.

dont think they will replace Face ID, but they will be using periscope zoom to be able to fit cameras within the bezel

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
dont think they will replace Face ID, but they will be using periscope zoom to be able to fit cameras within the bezel

All that periscope stuff requires a lot of internal space. Face ID will likely be removed for the same reason 3D Touch was, to provide additional space. Otherwise, you have redundant features taking up space and cost. Fingerprint also offers the possibility of measuring blood pressure and heart rate while Face ID doesn't offer any health features.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
All that periscope stuff requires a lot of internal space. Face ID will likely be removed for the same reason 3D Touch was, to provide additional space. Otherwise, you have redundant features taking up space and cost. Fingerprint also offers the possibility of measuring blood pressure and heart rate while Face ID doesn't offer any health features.
Apple Watch is Apple's health device, doubtful Apple would neuter watch sales to move the health features to phones. Why would anyone want the watch then?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple Watch is Apple's health device, doubtful Apple would neuter watch sales to move the health features to phones. Why would anyone want the watch then?

The Watch can offer continuous tracking of more advanced health features like EKG, pulse ox, and fall detection. Blood pressure and heart rate on iPhone could be considered basic health features. In fact, it's already possible to measure BP using a smartphone's camera and accelerometer.

motm95

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I'd prefer to have notchess first (although the notch doesn't really bother me) but I bet they release portless first.

Reactions: na1577

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
so which of the two will come first on iPhone?

which of the two you like better?

The notch will be either minimized or removed...eventually. As for a ‘portless’ iPhone, that’s not even close to being a reality yet, as Apple would have to create some tangible work around where they can use the phone to create a hard reboot through a restore through iTunes, Which I think could be doable through the Sim card tray. But that’s just a thought.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
The notch will be either minimized or removed...eventually. As for a ‘portless’ iPhone, that’s not even close to being a reality yet, as Apple would have to create some tangible work around where they can use the phone to create a hard reboot through a restore through iTunes, Which I think could be doable through the Sim card tray. But that’s just a thought.

i don't think there will be a SIM card tray in a theorized port-less iPhone. SIM will be totally virtual.
on such a theorized device there are likely to be one, two, or three small Smart Connector points (ala the iPad) on a port-less iPhone.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
I think the iPhone without a port will come first.
Apple is always bragging (rightfully) about how secure Face ID is compared to a fingerprint reader. I don’t think they will give up on that. Rather join late to the party (as many times before) with a better designed solution to hide Face ID under the display or whatever the solution will be to eliminate the notch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.