Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
I want to do some photography of a person subject, and I had a couple questions

First, what kind of background should I use? I want a white background, but I have no clue what to use for it?

Second, I have a white roll down blind could that work? But it only goes down to about the feet. Should it go down longer, or what? I want the feet to show, but like I said, the blind only goes down to the ankles.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I want to do some photography of a person subject, and I had a couple questions

First, what kind of background should I use? I want a white background, but I have no clue what to use for it?

Second, I have a white roll down blind could that work? But it only goes down to about the feet. Should it go down longer, or what? I want the feet to show, but like I said, the blind only goes down to the ankles.

For high key portraits, I use a 20'x30' white muslin I got on eBay clamped to the rails of a background stand. I prefer to have enough background that the model can stand on it and it can still be far enough away that my background light blows it out without any wrinkles being obvious. You could use a sheet, paper, or whatever so long as it's large enough to cover the back of the scene and fairly constant in color unless you wanted to fix stuff in PS later.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Looks perfect. Just don't over bid. look up the cost of a new one at B&H or some place.
Some people prefer to use seamless paper rather then cloth because the cloth can wrinkle. But if cost is an issue and you can only have one background white mulin is a good one to have. I have a 15ft square one that is white on one side and painted moltled grey on the other.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
They all seem to be going for around $100 for close to that size, so If i got one for $50 shipped, i think that might be a good investment.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Some people prefer to use seamless paper rather then cloth because the cloth can wrinkle.

Paper crinkles, and you can't iron or steam it back out- and shipping on it is horrendous if you get the long stuff. I've got both in my studio, and muslin is *way* easier to deal with IMO. If you wet the muslin, you can generally get the wrinkles out pretty easily by just letting it dry stretched under the modeling lamps.

I got a really good deal locally on some seamless, but pretty-much everything I get from here on out will be muslin except where the texture doesn't work and there's a short working distance.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
I am currently using just a white pull down blind, but it has a little crinkling in it, so Ill have to get some muslin or try to use a regular white sheet.
I wouldnt mind getting some nice lighting as well:D

Cashaw

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2007
USA
I like...

blue or green screening. I can do extra things in post processing. Just make sure you put enough room between you subject and the screen. My current screen is paper, which in my experience does the job because in most cases I am editing it out.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
take a trip to your local photography or art supply store, they usually have seamless paper for use as portrait backgrounds.

I went to Blacks, they had no clue what to use as a background. I think for now Ill just use a white sheet, and down the road get some better quality muslin, and get a proper set up with brackets and stands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.